Saturday, May 30, 2020
Home Editor's picks Half-truths and full-lies: How Rahul Gandhi lies (again!) on Rafale to create a false...

Half-truths and full-lies: How Rahul Gandhi lies (again!) on Rafale to create a false narrative

Also Read

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Congress President Rahul Gandhi in his most recent allegations against the Rafale Deal has claimed that Prime Minister Narendra Modi was running ‘parallel negotiations’ based on an internal report of the Ministry of Defense. He then went on to claim that it was ‘evidence’ of the fact that Modi stole Rs. 30,000 crores and gave it to Anil Ambani.

The scion of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty was speaking of revelations made in a report by The Hindu which claimed that MoD officials had registered a firm opposition with the PMO’s negotiations on the matter. However, even that report does not mention anywhere that the supposed negotiations carried out by the PMO had anything to do with money or offset deal with Reliance. The nature of the supposed negotiations was not revealed either.

Armed with the media report, Rahul Gandhi then proceeded to claim that the French President called Prime Minister Modi a ‘thief’.

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

Now, G Mohan Kumar, Defence Secretary at the time of the Rafale negotiations, has come out and said that the ‘dissent note’ had “nothing to do with price”. He said, “It was about sovereign guarantees and general terms and conditions”.

Kumar further clarified that whatever is mentioned in The Hindu report has nothing to do with pricing at all.

Replying to the allegations, current defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman said in Parliament that then defence minister Manohar Parrikar had already replied to the dissent note by the Defence Secretary, assuring that everything was going alright and there was nothing to worry.

In fact, the then defence minister had replied to the dissent on the note itself, which can be seen in the full page published by ANI.

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

It is interesting to note that, while publishing the dissent note, The Hindu chose the crop the same, omitting the vital note of the defence minister at the bottom of the note. Responding to the apprehension by the secretary, Parrikar writes, “It appears PMO and French President office are monitoring the progress of the issue which was an outcome of the summit meeting. Para 5 appears to be an over reaction”. The Defence Minister clearly states that both PMO and French President offices were monitoring the government to government deal, and the comments of the secretary is an overreaction.

It is also important to note that the dissent note by Deputy Secretary (Air-II) in the Defence Ministry, as reported by The Hindu, was raised on November 24, 2015. It was during the time both Indian and French sides were involved in discussions over the deal. In any discussion, arguments, disagreements are inevitable, what matters is the final decision, not the debates involved in coming to that discussion.

Lets that a look at the timeline of the deal. India and France issued a joint statement announcing the deal to supply 36 Rafale aircraft in flyway condition on April 10, 2015. After this, the proposal was sent to Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) on 13th May 2015 for approval, as per the provisions of Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP). DAC is chaired by the Defence Minister, and members include the State ministers for Defence, the three chiefs of staff, defence secretary, Secretary of Dept. of Defence Production and Supplies, Secretary of Defence Research and Development, Secretary of Defence Finance, and Special Secretary (Acquisition). DAC functions under the defence ministry and it has the final say on any defence related purchase.

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

After initial announcement of the deal, an Indian Negotiating Team (INT) was constituted by the government to negotiate the terms and conditions of the deal with the French side. The INT was headed by Deputy Chief of the Air Staff of Indian Air Force, and it included Joint Secretary and Acquisition Manager (Air), Joint secretary (Defence Offset Management Wing), Joint Secretary and Additional Financial Advisor, Finance Manager (Air), Advisor (Cost) and Assistance Chief of Air Staff (Plans) as members.

The Deputy Secretary (Air-II), who wrote the dissent note, is neither a part of DAC nor a part of INT.

The INT was involved in as many as 74 meetings for the deal. This included 48 internal meetings of the team and 26 external meetings with the French counterpart. These meetings took place between May 2015 and April 2016. Working under the directions of DAC, the INT had negotiated and finalised various terms and conditions related to price, delivery and maintenance of the Rafale aircraft. The INT had submitted its report in August 2016, and the same was approved by the Cabinet Committee of Security in the same month. After the approval of CCS, the Inter Government Agreement was signed by the Defence Minister on 23rd September 2016. Therefore, the Defence Ministry was fully involved in the negotiations for the Rafale deal.

On an earlier occasion, when Rahul Gandhi had quoted the French President, the French government had to come out and issue a clarification which essentially stated that Rahul lied on the Floor of the Lok Sabha.

Rahul Gandhi has been on a lying spree over the Rafale Deal, often repeating his lies over and over again in the hope that one of them will stick given the fact that he has the support from the ‘pliant media’.

Yesterday, in his address in the Lok Sabha, Prime Minister Modi targeted the Congress party over the matter and said that the party committed criminal negligence and undermined the defence preparedness of our armed forces due to vested interests.

  Support Us  

Whether NDTV or 'The Wire', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

Trending now

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

DD News temporarily shifts operations from Mandi House to Khelgaon after an employee tested positive for Coronavirus after death

News operations of DD News shifted to Khelgaon studio from the night of May 28 while Mandi house studios are sanitised

Mamata Banerjee opens up places of worship from June 1 in West Bengal, refuses to take migrants back saying Shramik Express trains are Corona...

Mamata Banerjee alleged that large numbers of workers returning is the reason behind spike in coronavirus cases in West Bengal

D10: Britain proposes new alliance of 10 democracies including India, South Korea, Australia and G7 nations to break China’s monopoly on 5G technology

The United Kingdom aims to create an alternative suppliers of 5G technology and other technologies to by forming the D10 group

IAF makes heavy-lift CH-47 Chinook helicopters operational in the Eastern air command near Indo-China border

CH-47 Chinook advanced multi-mission helicopters will be based at Air Force Station in Mohanbari in Dibrugarh of Assam near China border

White House slams Twitter for censoring US President Donald Trump but refusing to take action against glorification of Jihad

Donald Trump has been involved in a raging battle against social media giant Twitter after the latter included a 'fact-check' on his tweet.

Twitter restores ISKCON spokesperson’s account after briefly locking it, removes proof of insult of Hindus in Shemaroo video citing copyright violation

ISKCON spokesperson Radharamn Das had posted the vile video on Twitter as a proof of crime against the ISKCON and Hindus

Recently Popular

ISKCON files complaint against comedian Surleen Kaur and Shemaroo Entertainment Ltd for a video where ISKCON devotees were called ‘harami porn-waley’

Surleen Kaur had said in the video published by Shemaroo ‘no doubt we are from ISKCON, but from inside we are all harami porn lovers’.

ISKCON rejects Shemaroo Entertainment’s ‘apology’, to proceed with legal action against comedian Surleen Kaur for abusive, derogatory statements

A complaint had been filed by ISKCON organisation against comedian Ms Surleen Kaur and Shemaroo Entertainment Ltd for her abusive, derogatory remarks against the organisations, saints and Hindus.

Zaira Wasim, who had left acting for Islam, now quotes the Quran to insinuate that locust infestation in Rajasthan is ‘Allah’s wrath’

Several areas in Eastern Africa, Pakistan, and India have seen attacks by massive swarms of locusts recently. However, it is not understood why the former actress is insinuating these locust attacks as some sort of Islamic curse upon a specific group of people whom she refers to as 'arrogant'.

Woman raped by Moulvi Aslam, media gives it a ‘Hindu spin’ by using image of a saffron-clad Hindu priest and describing the perpetrator as...

A Muslim sorcerer claiming to relieve people of their miseries through his wizardry was depicted as a Hindu priest by media organisations

Nagpada police station Senior PI Shalini Sharma transferred as Uddhav Thackeray bows to pressure from Abu Azmi

"Yeh aurat kehti hain aapne police par ilzaam lagaya hain mein aapse baat nahi karegi, uske baap ke baap ke baap ko bhi baat karni padegi”, Abu Azmi was seen shouting to hundreds of his supporters outside Nagpada station.

Connect with us

228,683FansLike
355,089FollowersFollow
243,000SubscribersSubscribe
Advertisements