The Wuhan Coronavirus has created havoc globally with over 3,00,000 cases and 12,948 deaths as of last evening. Amidst the global pandemic, India has taken strict measures to limit the country’s exposure by closing down its borders, International travel and even the Prime Minister calling for a voluntary Junta Curfew today on the 22nd of March 2020. Several states like Gujarat, Rajasthan and Maharashtra are under partial lockdown. Now, the fifth death has been confirmed in India due to the WuhanCoronavirus, from the state of Maharashtra.
According to India Today, a 63-year-old man has succumbed to the Wuhan Coronavirus in Maharashtra, taking India’s death toll to 5. This is the second death in Maharashtra alone.
Reportedly, the 63-year-old man was admitted to the HN Reliance Hospital on the 21st of March.
“The patient had a chronic history of diabetes, high blood pressure and iichemic heart disease and he developed acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) leading to death,” a government spokesperson said. The patient’s wife was also tested positive for the Wuhan Coronavirus.
Along with the death of a patient in Maharashtra, India Today reports that 10 new cases of the Wuhan Coronavirus have come to light in the state of Maharashtra that is now under partial lockdown.
Out of the 12 cases, 8 were people who had travel history outside of India, but there were 4 cases who got infected with the Wuhan Coronavirus after coming in contact with other infected patients.
Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray said on Friday that all workplaces in major cities in Maharashtra, including Mumbai and Pune, will remain closed till March 31.
Read: Empty streets, public transportation closed as citizens overwhelmingly support PM Modi’s call for ‘Janata Curfew’ to fight the Wuhan Coronavirus
The shutdown will be applicable in Mumbai, Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR), Pune, Pimpri Chinchwad and Nagpur, Thackeray said.
Government offices will operate at 25 per cent attendance, he said. Maharashtra so far has 52 coronavirus positive cases, while one Covid-19 patients died in Mumbai this week. Thackeray said maximum number of patients were from these cities and had travelled abroad.
In a televised address, Thackeray said only essential services will remain open which include food, milk and medicines. Banks will remain functional, Thackeray said. The attendance in government offices will be brought down to 25 per cent from the present 50 per cent on a rotation basis as announced earlier, he had said.
As on 21st March 2020, 10:45 PM, there were 315 confirmed cases of the Wuhan Coronavirus in India. Of the 315 confirmed cases, 22 were cured and discharged and 4 patients had lost their lives. India had screened 14,90303 passengers at airports travelling from other affected countries. With the death of the 63-year-old man, the death toll has now gone up to 5.