Saturday, July 11, 2020
Home Opinions Dear Congress, ISIS is the villain here, not Sushma Swaraj

Dear Congress, ISIS is the villain here, not Sushma Swaraj

Also Read

Sanghamitra
reader, writer, dreamer, no one

Yesterday Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj announced in Rajya Sabha that the 39 Indians missing in Iraq were confirmed to be dead. 39 of our citizens were killed by ISIS. As expected the opposition and the media soon went into a spin overdrive. The media started quoting the family members of the victims on why they were not informed before and why the government kept on giving them false hope. One media house quoted a victim’s kin saying, ‘we were made to undergo DNA tests’. Media even started quoting Harjit Masih, the lone survivor who had escaped under a Muslim name and false identity declaring that he had already told they were dead.

The eloquent Shashi Tharoor joined in too. Though the MEA explained the long and arduous process the ministry, especially MoS General VK Singh went through to trace those people and establish without a shred of doubt that they were, in fact, dead is being convincingly ignored by the media and the opposition both.

‘Dead’ is a finality. An absolution. The ministry of external affairs made sure that it has exhausted all resources, availed all means of investigations and employed every possible verification process before they arrived into that absolution and finality of announcing someone’s dear one ‘dead’. Sushma Swaraj and her team are heroes.

ISIS took control of Mosul in June 2014. Days after that, Indian officials in Iraq informed that they have lost contacts with the 40 Indian citizens employed in Mosul in a construction project. In July 2014, 46 nurses in Tikrit were set free. This further raised hope of those 40 workers being alive too. In May 2015, almost a year later, Harjit Masih claimed he was a lone survivor and the others were shot dead. Despite media repeatedly giving Masih his ‘didn’t I say so’ moment, the fact remains that he lied.

Harjit Masih told the press that all Indian workers were taken to a jungle and shot. That was not true. He had escaped with the 55 Bangladeshi workers using a fake name. A fake Muslim name. Interestingly, that is one angle none of the opposition or media is willing to discuss. The uncomfortable truth: ISIS set Muslims free and killed non-Muslims in cold blood.

The fact is, the other 39 Indians were not shot as Masih claimed. They were taken to a prison in Badush near Mosul. When PM Modi met the Palestinian President Mehmood Abbas in New York he was informed that the Indians might be alive. The government of India had also heard from other sources that they were still alive. As of July 2016, Ms Swaraj had information that they were alive and being used as bonded labour for construction and farm work by ISIS.

mass graves in Iraq

The above is a picture of how mass graves in Iraq looked like. Imagine tracing the movements and final known location of individuals when Mosul had fallen. Going to the war-torn and chaotic Iraq to convince the authorities to spare personnel and resources to trace the possible locations of Indian who might have been there. Then contacting and pursuing the concerned authorities and individuals working in those mass graves and finalise the possible locations, all the above-mentioned things is what General VK Singh went through to finally conclude that the mound at Badush may contain the bodies of the Indian workers. All this was possible only after July 10, 2017. When Mosul was liberated from ISIS.

When VK Singh went to Badush with Iraqi authorities, they were informed by locals about a mound where a mass grave was expected. With the help of Iraqi officials, the mound was exhumed and several remains were discovered. The presence of some ID cards, long hair, kadas (bracelet) and non-Iraqi made shoes suggested they might have belonged to Indians and so the bodies were sent to Baghdad. The martyr’s foundation in Iraq asked for DNA samples from relatives of the victims to confirm identity. After identity was finally established and informed to the Indian government, then only Sushma Swaraj informed in the Parliament about the death of those 39 people.

Sushma Swaraj had mentioned the difficulties the MEA had to encounter for confirmation. Iraq was and is in chaos. We Indians should consider ourselves fortunate to have an MEA like Ms Swaraj who did not give up. Unlike the UPA government who gave up on Sarabjit Singh, this government is still fighting for Kulbhushan Jadhav.

The people who are questioning the government’s intention should question themselves.

  1. Should the government have relied on false and contradictory statements of Harjit Masih alone and declared the 39 Indians dead?
  2. Should the government, despite information that they were alive after Masih escaped, informed the families of the victims that their loved ones are dead?
  3. Should the government have ignored the numerous sources that kept informed of the possibility of the 39 people being alive?
  4. Should the government have not used all resources available to trace the last known location and possible place of death of these people?
  5. Should the government have not waited for conclusive DNA evidence before declaring someone dead?

There are numerous instances where forgotten Indian soldiers were later found to be alive. Sepoy Jaspal Singh who fought in 71 war was later found to be languishing in Oman jail.

What is most disheartening in this whole case is how conveniently the Indian media and Congress, in particular, are deliberately ignoring to condemn and point out the very reason the 39 Indians are dead, the ISIS. None of the Congress leaders who have been vocally criticising the government after the announcement yesterday has condemned the ISIS so far. None so far have discussed the brutality of Islamic terrorism.

The story of the 39 Indians killed in Iraq is tragic. They went there looking for work There were reports that they had paid middlemen and agents lakhs of rupees to go and work in Iraq. Such was the necessity of employment that they even ignored the warnings by Indian and Iraqi officials to leave the country. While they worked in prison they might even have hoped that the ISIS would set them free. There are a dozen tragic tales of poverty, lack of jobs and exploitations here. But blaming the government for lack of efforts or lack of intent is absolutely wrong.

General VK Singh will soon leave for Baghdad to bring the last remains of the 39 people back home. That will be a finality. Their families will never have the joy of their presence but the MEAs relentless efforts will give them closure. Sushma Swaraj and her staff have left no effort spared in establishing confirmation of their deaths. She had stated again and again that she won’t declare them dead until it has been conclusively established and she deserves our applause, for not letting go, for not giving up.

Regardless of what the media portrays, the family of a person never truly believes their loved one is dead until they see conclusive evidence. Sushma Swaraj has done the same. She kept hopes and efforts alive till the last moment. The MEA deserves our salute.

  Support Us  

Whether NDTV or 'The Wire', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

Sanghamitra
reader, writer, dreamer, no one

Trending now

‘Drone boy’ Prathap NM makes a statement after OpIndia fact-check: Here is why his explanation makes little sense

'Drone boy' Prathap NM says he won't show his drones due to intellectual property issues, but will show certificates from unregistered events

Anti-Hindu Delhi Riots: Two employees of Tahir Hussain turn witness, testimony included in chargesheet

Girish Pal and Rahul Kasana - the two employees of the accused Tahir Hussain said in their statements to the police that they were present in the office of Hussain in Khajuri Khas area on February 24.

Police encounters and ‘secular privilege’ in Indian politics

Between 2002 and 2007, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) found 440 cases of suspected “fake” encounters by the police across India.

1500-year-old Cathedral Hagia Sophia converted to a mosque, President Erdogan says it’s Turkey’s ‘sovereign right’

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that a 1500-year-old Orthodox Christian Cathedral in Istanbul named Hagia Sophia would be converted into a mosque

Kerala: Locals in Coronavirus hotspot Poonthura protest against lockdown restrictions, spit on healthcare workers collecting swab samples

Locals of the fishing suburb of Poonthura near Thiruvananthapuram attacked a team of health workers, including a doctor, who had gone to collect swab samples

The spin around Vikas Dubey encounter reminds about the police-raid against Mohammad Shahabuddin in Siwan

While people are saying “dead men tell no story” after Vikas Dubey encounter, Md Shahabuddin narrated no tales even after jailed for years

Recently Popular

The curious case of ‘Drone Boy’ who has made 600 drones using broken mixer grinders and televisions. A fact-check

While 'drone boy' Prathap NM has claimed to have made 600 drones using e-waste, not a single photo or video of them exist

Netizens ask Netflix to cancel comedian Kenny Sebastian’s special show after he hurls obscene abuses

Social media users are demanding that Netflix reconsiders special show of Indian comic Kenny Sebastian after he was allegedly found hurling obscene abuses to people on his Instagram page.

The Wire accused Yogi Adityanath of being ‘casteist’ for not killing Vikas Dubey hours before the encounter of the gangster

Notorious gangster, Vikas Dubey, who was arrested from Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh was killed in an encounter in the wee hours of the morning on Friday

After obscene comments, clip of comedian Kenneth Sebastian calling Sanskrit ‘most useless language ever’ goes viral. Watch video

In the video titled "Journey to the centre of my brain", Sebastian is seen thanking God because 'all the people who spoke Sanskrit are dead'.

Vikas Dubey killed in an encounter after he attempts to flee from police custody: Here is what happened

The encounter broke out between Vikas Dubey and the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) after the gangster tried to flee upon reaching Kanpur.

Vikas Dubey’s aide Guddan Trivedi arrested by Mumbai ATS: Here are his pictures with SP’s Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh Yadav

Vikas Dubey's aide Guddan Trivedi, wanted in Kanpur ambush on police and 2011 Santosh Shukla murder case, arrested by Mumbai ATS

Virologist who spent weeks documenting his ‘battle’ against Coronavirus from hospital on NBC News finds out he was not infected

On Tuesday, Fair revealed that he was never diagnosed with the Chinese virus and had tested negative for it multiple times.

‘Drone boy’ Prathap NM makes a statement after OpIndia fact-check: Here is why his explanation makes little sense

'Drone boy' Prathap NM says he won't show his drones due to intellectual property issues, but will show certificates from unregistered events

Here is a short list of anti-Brahmin people and ideas Congress has nurtured and supported

The Congress party has been trying to paint the Yogi Government as 'anti-Brahmin'.

Stand-up comedian apologises for insulting memorial to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in Arabian sea after MNS workers vandalised studio

The stand-up 'comedian' Agrima Joshua had made scornfully derisive remarks in her video against the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj memorial that is going to be erected in the Arabian Sea

Anti-Hindu Delhi Riots: Two employees of Tahir Hussain turn witness, testimony included in chargesheet

Girish Pal and Rahul Kasana - the two employees of the accused Tahir Hussain said in their statements to the police that they were present in the office of Hussain in Khajuri Khas area on February 24.

“If this was Uttar Pradesh, I would have set your houses on fire”: Vikas Dubey had said to Ujjain police officials after his arrest

Madhya Pradesh police official who had arrested Vikas Dubey narrates how the gangster was threatening the police team

With Apple’s plans to exit China, its Taiwanese supplier Foxconn to invest $1 billion in India in iPhone manufacturing unit

Foxconn to expand its iPhone produciton unit in Tamil Nadu with $1 billion investment to make more models as Apple moves out of China

Rajasthan Special Operations Group issues notices to CM Ashok Gehlot and DyCM Sachin Pilot over allegations of attempts to topple their govt

After Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot alleged attempts to topple his govt, SOG issues notices to him and DyCM Sachin Pilot to record statement

Andhra Pradesh: Locals write to NHRC after state authorities fail to act against illegal church construction in Kadapa

District authorities ignore illegal church construction evicting SC families from their homes, locals write to NHRC

Connect with us

235,526FansLike
403,381FollowersFollow
273,000SubscribersSubscribe