HomeNews ReportsMehbooba Mufti orders the withdrawal of cases against 4,327 stone pelters

Mehbooba Mufti orders the withdrawal of cases against 4,327 stone pelters

On Wednesday, Mehbooba Mufti, the Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir ordered the withdrawal of stone pelting cases against 4,327 youths of the state. Most of these youths were booked with stone pelting cases prior to 2014.

As per reports, this decision was a result of the recommendation provided by a high-powered committee headed by Director General of Police (DGP) S P Vaid. Soon after coming to power the Mufti government had initiated a review process of stone pelting cases which were lodged against youths from 2008 to 2014.

It had earlier withdrawn 104 cases against about 634 youths, two months after coming to power. This process which was disrupted last year due to the violence, was renewed yesterday with the withdraw of about 744 such cases which involves 4,327 such pelters.

The Mufti government doesn’t seem to be stopping at that and it has also asked the committee to look into the cases filed in 2015, 2016 and 2017, a report concerning which will be submitted in the next 10 days. The justification provided for such a move is that the government wants to help the youths rebuild their lives.

This withdrawal though doesn’t include cases filed against repeat offenders and those suspected of heinous crimes.

Such a move by the Jammu and Kashmir government comes  after the National Investigative Agency (NIA) had undertaken extensive efforts to try and put a dent into the stone pelting menace.

We had reported in the past how the investigative agency had identified 117 individuals who led stone pelting groups and gave instructions over WhatsApp. It had also identified 79 WhatsApp groups which were used to mobilise stone pelters, many of which had admins in Pakistan. The agency had also arrested two notorious stone pelters, one of whom was also a photojournalist.

It remains to be seen as to what is the response of coalition partner BJP on this whole issue. It also remains to be seen whether such an “amnesty program” by the Mufti government indeed helps drive away these Kashmiri youths from insurgency or whether they would be back on the streets in the near future.

Join OpIndia's official WhatsApp channel

  Support Us  

For likes of 'The Wire' who consider 'nationalism' a bad word, there is never paucity of funds. They have a well-oiled international ecosystem that keeps their business running. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

OpIndia Staff
OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Related Articles

Trending now

‘Desecrating Ganga could hurt religious sentiments of Hindus’: What Allahabad HC said while granting bail to Muslim youths in Varanasi iftar case. Details inside

Now, when the Allahabad High Court has said that throwing bones and other non-veg food leftovers in the sacred Ganga River can hurt Hindu religious sentiments, the same Islamo-leftist cabal is selectively highlighting only the Muslim accused getting bail part.

How did Imran Khan go from the chosen leader to the fallen prisoner? The cypher, regime change, and establishment that is controlled by the...

In keeping with his long-standing 'absolutely not' attitude against allowing US military activities on Pakistani territory, Khan presented Pakistan's stance as principled neutrality, a reluctance to take sides in a conflict between world powers. Donald Lu met with Pakistan's ambassador in Washington two weeks later, on March 7, 2022, and expressed his thoughts in unusually forthright words for diplomatic standards.
- Advertisement -