Canada: Police arrest ‘unnamed’ man after he attacks Gurdwara and stabs 2 Sikhs, accused has a history of violence

A 27-year-old man has been arrested after two people were injured in a stabbing at a gurdwara in Edmonton, Canada on Friday morning, 21st August. The attack took place at Nanaksar Gurdwara while prayers were underway, according to the Edmonton Police Service (EPS).

Police said the suspect entered the gurdwara and tried to reach the prayer room before attacking two men, aged 75 and 51. The two victims suffered injuries that were not life-threatening and were taken for medical treatment. However, Zora Grewal, vice president of the Nanaksar Gurdwara, said the injured men were a priest and a volunteer.

Witnesses overpowered attacker

Acting Inspector Eric Stewart of the EPS said police initially received a report about a man walking in traffic. Officers were later informed about the stabbing at the gurdwara.

According to police, “quick-acting witnesses” stepped in and managed to overpower the attacker before officers arrived. The suspect was taken into custody after police reached the scene. He had also suffered injuries and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Police have not released the suspect’s identity or confirmed what may have led to the attack. The hate crimes investigation unit is also looking into the incident.

Suspect released from prison a day earlier

Stewart said the suspect was known to police and had a “significant history of violence”. Investigators found that he had been released from a federal prison in Alberta on Thursday, just a day before the gurdwara attack.

The man had been serving a sentence in connection with offences including aggravated assault. After his release, he was supposed to report to a designated halfway house in Edmonton but failed to do so.

Police had not announced charges against him at the time of the press conference. Investigators are continuing to look into the circumstances surrounding the stabbing and the suspect’s possible motive.

Canadian PM condemns attack

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney condemned the incident and expressed concern for those injured and the wider Sikh community.

“The attack at the Nanaksar Gurdwara in Edmonton this morning is appalling. My thoughts are with the two people who were injured and the wider community that is shaken by this terrible event,” Carney said in a post on X.

He added, “No one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship,” while thanking the Edmonton Police Service for its “swift response.”