No Durga Puja organiser seeks the mandatory permission required to immerse idols on Muharram

The vibrant festival of Durga Puja was tainted by politics this year after the Mamata government had decreed that there would be no idol immersion in 1st October owing to Muslim festival of Muharram falling on that day.

This led to PILs getting filed in the Calcutta High Court against this decision. The High Court as a result first pulled up the Mamata government and then later put a stay order on the decision. The court also rebuked the Mamata government by stating that it was exercising extreme power without any basis.

Possibly in-order to somehow circumvent the High Court decision, the Mamata government later ordered that if Durga Puja organisers want to immerse idols on Muharram, they would have to take prior police permissions. These permissions would also have to be submitted “well in advance”. Plus in order to further “persuade” the Puja organisers to take the “right” decision, the TMC legislators were scheduled to convince the organisers to not immerse the idols on 1st October.

- Advertisement - - Article resumes -

Now it seems that the Mamata government has become successful in enforcing an unofficial ban after it has been reported that Bengal Police have received no requests for idol immersions on Muharram till Friday morning. Additional director general (law & order), Anuj Sharma stated that out of the about 25,000 Durga Pujas in the state, none has sent such an application.

A senior officer in the Kolkata police even dismissed the possibility of any last minute application. Plus even though such an application is made, it might well be refused in the pretext that it wasn’t made “well in advance”.

A member of the state cabinet even claimed that the TMC leaders and elected representatives had successfully influenced over 95% of the community pujas to not immerse idols on Muharram. The rest 5% are reportedly controlled by Congress leaders but the state cabinet member expressed confidence that no one would act in a way which would disturb the communal harmony. 


Share This Post and Support:
We need your support to survive in the media industry. Please consider paying us for the content we produce:

To know more about these payments, please click here.


Most read articles recently

NDTV suspends Deputy News Editor for celebrating Pulwama terror attack, may take further action

NDTV Deputy News Editor Nidhi Sethi suspended by the channel for her Facebook comment celebrating the Pulwama attack

Dear Gujarat Samachar editor, how do you live with yourself?

Gujarati daily's insensitive headline over Pulwama attack has got readers upset

Pakistan funded Islamic terrorist blows up 300 kgs of IED, actor brings ‘Hindu right wing’ argument to shield Pakistan

Jaaved Jaaferi refuses to hold Pakistan accountable for the attack, instead equates Hindus with Jaish Terrorists.

Congress IT Cell head shares NDTV’s half truth to discredit Vande Bharat Express, insensitively drags Pulwama terror attack

In a rush to discredit the success of India's fastest train 'Vande Bharat Express', Congress' Divya Spandana not only resorted to propagating fake news but also went on to pass some insensitive statements regarding the recent Pulwama terror attack

Congress supporting abusive troll claims Pulwama was an inside job by India

Sanjukta Basu is a very vocal Modi-hater and a bigot masquerading as a liberal feminist.

Delhi’s education minister deletes tweet after being educated about electricity supply to Pakistan by Adani

Sisodia, without apologising or issuing a clarification, chose to quietly delete the tweet after being called out

27 Revolutionary Guards killed by Pakistan supported terrorists: Iranian general warns Pakistan to act or face consequences

With Iran threatening retaliation after Prime Minister Narendra Modi assured Indians that there will be consequences, the signs appear to be ominous for Pakistan.

Assam: Assistant Professor at Icon Commerce College, Guwahati, suspended over objectionable Facebook post on Pulwama terror attack

Assam Police too has taken cognizance of a tweet that reported an objectionable post by Papri Banerjee who is an Assistant Professor of English at Icon Commerce College, Guwahati, Assam.
Congress mouthpiece National Herald whitewashes Pulwama terrorist Adil Ahmed Dar

More stories about terrorist and his family than martyrs – what does it tell about the media?

The English language Indian media has focused more on ‘human stories’ about the terrorist than about the Pulwama martyrs.

Pulwama attack: Foreseeing strong and fast reaction from India, Pakistan relocates its terrorists nearer to Pak army camps

As per the report, Pakistan has not even vacated the winter posts along the LoC which it usually does.

Latest articles

Connect with us

136,995FansLike
109,823FollowersFollow
22,948SubscribersSubscribe

Don't miss these