In a nail-biting finish between India and Afghanistan, Mohammad Shami took a hat-trick in the last over of the match. A hat-trick which won the game for India.
Mohammad Shami’s hat-trick is the first hat-trick of World Cup 2019, and he became the 10th bowler to take a hat-trick in World Cup history. The first hat-trick of World Cup was taken by Chetan Sharma in the 1987 World Cup, against New Zealand at Nagpur.
Overall, three bowlers from Sri Lanka, two bowlers from India and one each from Pakistan, West Indies, Australia, England, and South Africa have taken the hat-tricks in the World Cup.
Malinga is the only bowler who took it twice (in 2007 and 2011), he also the only bowler to take four wickets in 4 balls (against South Africa in 2007). Chaminda Vaas took the hat-trick in the first three balls of the match (against Bangladesh in 2003).
1. Chetan Sharma against New Zealand, Nagpur 1987
2. Saqlain Mushtaq against Zimbabwe, The Oval 1999
3. Chaminda Vaas against Bangladesh, Pietermaritzburg 2003
4. Brett Lee against Kenya, Durban 2003
5. Lasith Malinga against South Africa, Guyana 2007
6. Kemar Roach against Netherlands, New Delhi 2011
7. Lasith Malinga against Kenya, Colombo 2011
8. Steven Finn against Australia, Melbourne 2015
9. JP Duminy against Sri Lanka, Sydney 2015
10. Mohammad Shami against Afghanistan, Southampton 2019
Which one is your favourite World Cup Hat-trick?