The southpaw from Punjab Yuvraj Singh has retired from international cricket after playing for more than 18 years & 402 matches for India. One of the most excellent hitters of a cricket ball and an absolute brilliant fielder was the mainstay of India’s success in World T20 in 2007 and World Cup 2011.
As he announced his retirement on Monday, let’s see his career through the numbers.
- Yuvraj Singh made his International debut against Kenya in the ICC Knock-out tournament (now ICC Champions Trophy) in 2000, he didn’t get a chance to bat, but in his ODI innings in the next game, smashed 80 against Australia. 4th highest score by an Indian in debut ODI innings.
- 8609 runs scored by Yuvraj Singh in ODIs for India – the seventh most for India in ODI cricket. Only Tendulkar, Ganguly, Kohli, Dravid, Dhoni and Azhar have scored more runs than him.
- He is the only player to score 300-plus runs and taking 15 or more wickets in a single edition of Cricket World Cup – 363 runs & 15 wickets in the 2011 ICC World Cup.
- He is the only batsman in T20I to hit 6 SIXES in an over – against Stuart Broad in World T20, 2007
6️⃣ 6️⃣ 6️⃣ 6️⃣ 6️⃣ 6️⃣
Wishing Yuvraj Singh a happy retirement from international cricket ✊ pic.twitter.com/Te0duzjlA0
— ICC T20 World Cup (@T20WorldCup) June 10, 2019
- Twelve balls, yes that many balls are taken by Yuvraj to score fifty against England in the match mentioned above – the fastest in the history of international cricket across formats and joint fastest in all T20 cricket.
- He is the only player to win U-19 World Cup (in 2000), World T20 (in 2007) and Cricket World Cup (in 2011).
- Yuvraj Singh is the only player in history to claim a five haul and also hit a fifty in the same Cricket World Cup match – 5 for 31 and 50* against Ireland in Bangalore, 2011.
- Yuvraj Singh (2011) and Sachin Tendulkar (2003) are the only Indian players to win the Man of the Tournament in the Cricket World Cup.
- He won 7 Man of the Series awards for India in ODIs. Second only to Sachin Tendulkar (14) for India and fifth most in ODI cricket alongside Ricky Ponting.
- 251, the number of sixes Yuvraj Singh smashed in his international cricket career. He is only behind Rohit (355), Dhoni (355) and Tendulkar (264) in the Indian list of most sixes in an International career.
- Yuvraj Singh played 304 ODI for India but never captained in a match. Only Muralitharan has played more games (350) without leading his team in ODI.
- Yuvraj Singh (2011) and Kapil Dev (1983) are the only players to hit a hundred and capture a five-fer in World Cup.