A 30 year old man from Kerala who was believed to have joined ISIS was reportedly killed in a drone strike in Afghanistan. The man named Bexin Vincent was a convert from Christianity and had married a girl called Nimisha. They both had slipped out of India when she was pregnant.
This piece of information was reportedly conveyed to his family which lives in Kasargod, North Kerala via the messaging app named Telegram on Saturday. The sender of the message is believed to be a youth named Ashfaq Majeed, who along with at least 19 others, had reportedly joined the Islamic State last year.
This news is in line with various reports which over time have shed light over the possible fate which has befallen the Indian citizens who have joined ISIS.
- It was reported in March that a 24 year old man called Hafeezuiddin who hailed from the same place of Kasargod was killed in a similar drone strike in Afganisthan. His death was also conveyed to his family using the Telegram messaging app.
- About 20 ISIS recruits from India were reportedly killed when the USA dropped the ‘Mother of all bombs’ in Nangarhar province of Afghanistan on 13th April.
- In November, 2016 it was reported that a 22-year-old youth from Kalyan named Aman Naeem Tandel who had left for Syria in 2014 was killed.
- It was reported in April, 2015 that three ISIS fighters including one named Abdul Rahman from Maharashtra had so far died fighting in Syria. In November of that year, the Indian security agencies released the names of 6 Indian youths who had died after joining the ISIS.
Apart from getting killed there have also been cases about the fighters returning back to India after they were reportedly ‘disillusioned’ by the Islamic State:
- Arif Majeed an engineering student who had joined the Islamic state in May, 2014 returned back to the country in November of the same year as he was completely ignored and had to clean toilets and fetch water for fellow terrorists.
- A youth named Subahani Haja Moideen too returned to India in October 2016, five months after joining the terror group as he was reportedly disillusioned by the senseless violence the group was perpetrating.