In a “Mad mad world” incident which has come to light from Ahmadabad, a lawyer has filed a Right to Information (RTI) application inquiring about the IQ of a sitting Judge of a session’s court.
The lawyer named Anand Brahmbhatt reportedly decided to take this route after he wasn’t very pleased at the judge’s courtroom behavior and style of judicial functioning.
The RTI application inquires:
- Whether the judge in question had appeared in any competitive examination that provided an IQ score
- Whether the judge was allowed to take such an examination
- Specific information has also been sought about whether the Judge’s IQ is zero or somehow in the negative
The RTI query is addressed to the court registrar and principal sessions judge who is now tasked with somehow furnishing the information. The application was accepted by the city civil court’s correspondence department on Monday.
Certain personal information has also been sought by lawyer Brahmbhatt:
- The lawyer Brahmbhatt wants to know whether the Gujarat High Court had medically examined the judge and if it had then whether the judge had exhibited signs of mental illness during this process
- Lawyer Brahmbhatt has also inquired about the amount of years spent by the judge in clearing his board exams, graduation and obtaining his law degree
- Lawyer Brahmbhatt has also sought information about the assets of the judge and whether there’s any complaint pending against him
Lawyer Brahmbhatt has claimed that he has sought the information under the capacity of a private citizen and has stated that if the authorities wish to deny his request then they should cite proper sections of the law for doing so.
It remains to be seen the tone of the RTI reply, given the loaded questions in the query.
Also, this might possibly be the first time a ‘private citizen’ has asked for information about a judge’s IQ. There have though been instances in the past about former judges passing statements about the intelligence of Indian citizens.
In 2012 former Supreme Court Judge Markandey Katju had outright stated that he considered 90% of Indians to be idiots and that they didn’t have a brain in their head as it was easy to take them for a ride.
Mr Katju’s impression of Indians though hasn’t improved over time and in his Facebook post it was revealed that the number had actually risen to 95%. He had further stated that after so many Indians thronged to attend the Justin Bieber concert in Mumbai, he was increasing the number to 97% with the possibility of further escalation in the future.
Contributor at OpIndia.com,
Wish to write a great trilogy someday!