Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Home News Reports IAF admits downing own chopper, 'big mistake, will take action' says Air Chief Marshal...

IAF admits downing own chopper, ‘big mistake, will take action’ says Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria

"We have taken steps to ensure safe radio communication. They won’t be able to hear our communication", said IAF Chief RKS Bhadauria answering on whether Pakistan would be able to jam India's communication with pilots as they reportedly did in case of Wing Cdr Abhinandan.

Also Read

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

The IAF chief, Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhaduria in a press release on Friday admitted that the downing of Mi17 chopper on February 27 was a big mistake of the Indian Air Force.

“Court of Inquiry has been completed and it was our mistake as our missile had hit our own chopper. We will take action against the two officers. We accept this was our big mistake and we will ensure such mistakes are not repeated in future,” said the newly appointed IAF Chief during a press conference.

On February 27, the day Indian and Pakistani air forces were engaged in a fierce dogfight, a Mi-17 IAF helicopter crashed in Jammu and Kashmir’s Budgam after it was hit by an Indian missile.

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

The helicopter was flown by Sqdn Leader Siddharth Vashisht with other members Sqdn Ldr Ninad Mandvgane, Kumar Pandey, Sergeant Vikrant Sehrawat, Corporals Deepak Pandey and Pankaj Kumar. It crashed at Budgam after taking off from Srinagar airport at 10.10 am, soon after Pakistani Air Force jets had attempted to violate the Indian airspace at around 9.30 am that day.

The fierce engagement had forced Pakistan to abandon its misadventure at Uri but the air defence system is believed to have fired at the helicopter by then, killing all the personnel and a civilian on the ground, officials had said at the time of the incident. A high-level probe had found at least four officers guilty for the crash.

An Indian Air Force court of inquiry confirmed that the aircraft became the unfortunate target of its own forces, contrary to Pakistan’s claim that they had shot it down. The probe confirmed that the ‘Identification of Friend or Foe’ (IFF) system on-board the helicopter was switched off and there was a “vital gap” in communication and coordination between the ground staff and the crew of the chopper.

The IFF helps air defence radars identify whether an aircraft or helicopter is friendly or hostile.

Moreover, elaborating on the Balakot strikes, the air chief said, “Air Force has achieved many important milestones in the last year including 26th February when we successfully targeted terror camps in Balakot. On 27th February in the aerial battle after attack by Pakistan, Indian Air Force lost one MiG-21 and Pakistan lost one F-16.”

Speaking on the future possibility of Balakot-like strike, he said, “If there is a terror strike (from Pakistan), it will be responded as per the government decision on it.”

Answering ANI’s question on whether Pakistan would be able to jam India’s communication with pilots as they did in case of Wing Cdr Abhinandan Varthaman, IAF Chief RKS Bhadauria said that: We have taken steps to ensure safe radio communication. They won’t be able to hear our communication.

It was reported earlier that the Indian Wing Commander, Abinandan Varthaman, whose aircraft was shot down on February 27 during a dogfight with Pakistan Air Force (PAF) jets and he was captured subsequently, could not hear instructions asking him to turn back because his communications system was jammed by Pakistan.

Meanwhile, the Indian Air Force on Friday also showcased the story of the Balakot aerial strikes through a promotional video at the annual Air Force Day press conference, addressed by Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.

In a brave retaliation to the ghastly Pulwama attack, India had conducted the Balakot airstrike in the wee hours of February 26 when Indian warplanes crossed into Pakistani territory and dropped bombs in the vicinity of the town of Balakot in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan.

- Support OpIndia -
Support OpIndia by making a monetary contribution

Trending now

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Latest News

Delhi Government to ask Police to register FIR against Maulana of Markaz, Nizamuddin, suspected ground zero for hundreds of potential Coronavirus infections

A huge number of people are suspected to have been infected with the Chinese Coronavirus from Markaz, Nizamuddin.

Karnataka: People quarantined at home have to send govt their selfies and GPS coordinates every hour, declares state government

The Karnataka Government has announced that every single citizen under home quarantine in the state will have to upload their 'selfies' on a government app every hour

BACK AGAIN: After Ramayana and Mahabharata, Indian superhero Shaktimaan set to return on Doordarshan

Doordarshan is all set to re-telecast episodes of India's superhero Shaktimaan in the wake of the nationwide lockdown featuring Mukesh Khanna in the lead role.

Aajtak falsely calls food preparation by Jhandewalan Temple Trust and Sewa Bharati volunteers for needy as Kejriwal’s “Community Kitchen”

Pictures of Jhandewalan Trust Members and Sewa Bharati members preparing food were passed off by AajTak as images from Arvind Kejriwal's "Community Kitchen" during Coronavirus lockdown

‘Bakwas Band Karo​’: CM Yogi Adityanath reprimands Noida DM over Coronavirus preparations, DM transferred after requesting leave

Yogi Adityanath told the DM to stop speaking nonsense and not keep on blaming each other over Coronavirus preparations. It was all captured on camera.

BMC directs dead bodies of Coronavirus patients to be cremated irrespective of religion, circular withdrawn after NCP minister Nawab Malik steps in

BMC Police Commissioner released an order mandating disposal of dead bodies of the people who died due to Coronavirus only by cremation

Recently Popular

Manufactured crisis? Delhi govt cut electricity and water supply of migrant workers​, told them buses were waiting for them at UP border

Essentially, it seems like the Delhi government manufactured a crisis and forced migrant workers to flock to the UP border amidst Coronavirus lockdown

PM Narendra Modi launches “Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund” to receive public donations for fight against Covid-19

This fund will enable micro-donations and large number of people will be able to contribute with smallest of denominations

Infosys employee Mujeeb Mohammad arrested for asking people to ‘spread the virus’ by sneezing in public, fired by the company

Although earlier Infosys said that it could be a case of mistaken identity, later they admitted he was their employee & fired him

Midnight announcements, false promises: Watch how Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi government played with lives of millions amidst coronavirus outbreak

In a video shared by BJP leader Kapil Mishra, one can see announcements being made in colonies where UP-Bihar migrants are staying in Delhi informing them that Delhi government-run DTC buses will take them to the Anand Vihar bus terminal.

Delhi: Dozens of coronavirus cases across the country traced to Tablighi Jamat Mosque in Nizamuddin, hundreds in hospital, 2000 quarantined, area sealed off

A medical camp has been set up in the area and samples are being tested. Drones have been deployed to maintain strict vigilance over movements. As per reports, over 2000 people in the area are under quarantine.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Each morning, get an email to keep updated with all the news, opinions and analysis published by OpIndia.

Connect with us

216,680FansLike
266,419FollowersFollow
208,000SubscribersSubscribe
Advertisements