West Bengal: TMC government denies permission to BJP’s Rath Yatra, claims it will create communal tension

Last week, BJP had reiterated that they will take out the Rath Yatra, even if the administration denies them permission.

The West Bengal government has refused permission to BJP’s proposed ‘rath yatra’ scheduled to begin tomorrow from the Coochbehar town of the state, citing possible communal tension as the reason in front of a division bench of Calcutta High on Thursday.

WB Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee has even gone a step ahead and termed the ‘rath yatra’ as a ‘Ravan yatra’. She stated that the TMC will counter the rally with a ‘Pavitra Yatra’.

The state’s advocate general informed a bench of justice Joymalya Bagchi and justice Tapabrata Chakraborty on Thursday morning that the Coochbehar superintendent of police refused permission for the BJP president’s rath yatra scheduled to kick off from Friday. The BJP is expected to submit its version to the bench.

- Advertisement - - Article resumes -

The state submitted that it might cause communal tension.

The president of the BJP’s West Bengal unit, Dilip Ghosh said, “In a democratic set up all political parties are at liberty to pursue their programme. The government has no business stopping it. If the administration denies us permission, we can also say that we will go ahead with the programme without your consent. The programme will set out and reach its destination. None can prevent it,” Ghosh said.

Last week the BJP had reiterated that they will take out the ‘rath yatra’ formally called ‘Ganatantra Bachao Yatra’ or rally to save democracy, even if the administration denies them permission.

The BJP had moved Calcutta High court on December 5, saying it was yet to be given permission for taking out three rallies in West Bengal, scheduled to begin from December 7.

BJP had claimed before the bench of Justice Tapabrata Chakraborty that several letters sent to the DG-IGP and the home secretary, seeking permission for the three rallies, did not elicit any response.

However, Advocate General Kishore Dutta had told the court that the DG-IGP or the home secretary was not the competent authority to grant permission for the rallies, which, as a political party, the petitioner (BJP) should have known.

The BJP campaign is scheduled to begin from Coochbehar district in the north on December 7, from Kakdwip in the South 24 Parganas district on December 9 and from the Tarapith temple in Birbhum district on December 14.

On November 30, the state unit of the BJP filed a petition seeking direction from the court to the administration to ensure the smooth passage of the programme that is supposed to travel through all the 294 assembly constituencies of the state in more than 40 days.

Three raths, air-conditioned buses, will be flagged off from Madan Mohan temple in Cooch Behar on Friday, Kakdwip near the pilgrimage of Ganga Sagar at the confluence of the Hooghly river and the Bay of Bengal on December 9 and temple town of Tarapith on December 14.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is supposed to address four public rallies at different points of the yatra in Durgapur, Malda, Srirampur and Krishnagar.


Share This Post and Support:
We need your support to survive in the media industry. Please consider paying us for the content we produce:

To know more about these payments, please click here.


Most read articles recently

Dear Gujarat Samachar editor, how do you live with yourself?

Gujarati daily's insensitive headline over Pulwama attack has got readers upset

Pakistan funded Islamic terrorist blows up 300 kgs of IED, actor brings ‘Hindu right wing’ argument to shield Pakistan

Jaaved Jaaferi refuses to hold Pakistan accountable for the attack, instead equates Hindus with Jaish Terrorists.

Delhi’s education minister deletes tweet after being educated about electricity supply to Pakistan by Adani

Sisodia, without apologising or issuing a clarification, chose to quietly delete the tweet after being called out

NDTV suspends Deputy News Editor for celebrating Pulwama terror attack, may take further action

NDTV Deputy News Editor Nidhi Sethi suspended by the channel for her Facebook comment celebrating the Pulwama attack
Congress mouthpiece National Herald whitewashes Pulwama terrorist Adil Ahmed Dar

More stories about terrorist and his family than martyrs – what does it tell about the media?

The English language Indian media has focused more on ‘human stories’ about the terrorist than about the Pulwama martyrs.

JNU ‘student’ who was accused of stealing funds in Kathua case found spreading rumours about Kashmiri girls trapped in Uttarakhand

CRPF also issued a notice that certain 'miscreants' on social media are spreading rumours and hate on social media

Pulwama attack: Foreseeing strong and fast reaction from India, Pakistan relocates its terrorists nearer to Pak army camps

As per the report, Pakistan has not even vacated the winter posts along the LoC which it usually does.

Pulwama attack: Justice doesn’t give a tiny rat’s furry posterior about the sensibility of elites who go where the money takes them

Pulwama attack victims' mortal remains weren't even cold yet. The candles lit by the nation has not even been blown out by a sorrowful sigh of the nation, that the vultures started circling the remains
Rahul Gandhi

BJP government got soldiers killed for electoral gains: Gujarat Congress leader’s controversial remark

Congress leaders and supporters have been trying to float the theory that the Pulwama attack was an inside job

Congress supporting abusive troll claims Pulwama was an inside job by India

Sanjukta Basu is a very vocal Modi-hater and a bigot masquerading as a liberal feminist.

Latest articles

Connect with us

137,073FansLike
109,875FollowersFollow
22,969SubscribersSubscribe

Don't miss these