Shia Waqf Board Uttar Pradesh President Wasim Rizvi’s movie ‘Ram Janmabhoomi’ has obtained the approval of the Censor Board and is set to release on March 29. The movie which is written and produced by Rizvi reportedly depicts the events that occurred in the aftermath of the Ram Temple movement in 1990. It also intends to highlight a social evil like Nikah-Halala. Rizvi has himself acted in the movie.
Rizvi said that he has been receiving threats not to release the movie. He said that he was threatened by Abdul Memon, brother of Tiger Memon who was a prime suspect in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case. The movie is facing the backlash of several religious groups who are opposed to its release.
Rizvi was sent a legal notice by Prince Yakub Habeeduddin Tucy, who claims to be the sixth-generation descendant of the last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar, warning him not to release the movie as according to him, the movie defames Mughal emperor Babur.
Rizvi had to face the wrath of Islamic clerics after he called Babri Masjid ‘a blot to the country’. Last year, three suspected aides of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim were arrested by the Delhi police special cell as they were planning to kill Rizvi. The police had also recovered weapons from them.
The Shia Waqf Board President had written to PM Modi asking him to shut down all the madrassas alleging that madrassa education encourages students to become terrorists. A Muslim organisation called All India Faizan-e-Madina Council (AIFMC) had announced a bounty of 10 lakhs on Rizvi’s head following his remarks on madrassas.