HomeNews ReportsRussia-Ukraine war: Public hearings of ICJ to be held on 7th and 8th March...

Russia-Ukraine war: Public hearings of ICJ to be held on 7th and 8th March 2022

While addressing an urgent communication to the external affairs minister of Russia, the ICJ president Judge JE Donoghue had said, "I call the attention of the Russian Federation to the need to act in such a way as will enable any order the Court may make on the request for provisional measures to have its appropriate effects."

In another development regarding the ongoing Ukraine Russia crisis, the International Court of Justice has declared on 1st March 2022 that it will hold public hearings in this matter on 7th and 8th March 2022 in a hybrid format.

In its press release, the ICJ has said “The International Court of Justice, the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, will hold public hearings in the case concerning Allegations of Genocide under the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (Ukraine v. Russian Federation) on Monday 7 and Tuesday 8 March 2022, at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the seat of the Court.”

It has further said in this press release, “The hearings will be devoted to the request for the indication of provisional measures submitted by Ukraine. In view of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the hearings will be held in a hybrid format. Some members of the Court will attend the oral proceedings in person in the Great Hall of Justice while others will participate remotely by video link. Representatives of the Parties to the case will participate either in person or by video link.”

According to a report by ANI, earlier, while addressing an urgent communication to the external affairs minister of Russia, the ICJ president Judge JE Donoghue had said, “I call the attention of the Russian Federation to the need to act in such a way as will enable any order the Court may make on the request for provisional measures to have its appropriate effects.”

Ukraine Russia crisis

It is notable that the Russian forces have launched military operations in Ukraine on 24th February 2022. Russia took this step three days after recognizing Ukraine’s breakaway regions Donetsk and Luhansk as independent entities. On 28th February 2022, the negotiations between the two countries were held in the Gomel city of Belarus though Ukraine had earlier denied having any talks in Belarus citing its involvement in the Russian invasion. The next round of talks is scheduled for 2nd March 2022.

Join OpIndia's official WhatsApp channel

  Support Us  

For likes of 'The Wire' who consider 'nationalism' a bad word, there is never paucity of funds. They have a well-oiled international ecosystem that keeps their business running. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

OpIndia Staff
OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Related Articles

Trending now

‘Those arrested are CJP protestors’: Days after Amit Shah announced ISI-backed Shahzad Bhatti network’s destruction, Pakistani gangster claims 3,000 of his men still ‘free’

“Amit Shah tweeted that ‘We have caught more than 200 of Shahzad Bhatti’s associates. That is what is being shown to you, and the media is also broadcasting that, but that is not the reality. These are people from the Cockroach Janta Party. The people who went to Jantar Mantar, our photos and videos were made there as well,” Shahzad Bhatti said.

Kerala Congress alleges PM Modi ‘sold’ India to China over Chinese tech companies’ donations to PM CARES during COVID: Exposing Congress’ lies and duplicity

The Congress suggested that somehow the PM Modi-led Central government has been ‘allowing’ Chinese troops to not only enter thousands of kilometres inside India but occupy Indian territory because some Chinese tech companies close to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) reportedly donated a few crores to the PM CARES Fund.
- Advertisement -