Saturday, May 30, 2020
Home News Reports I&B ministry to punish 'NDTV India' for compromising national security?

I&B ministry to punish ‘NDTV India’ for compromising national security?

Also Read

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

The NDTV media group has become infamous for getting into a variety of controversies, chief of which are allegations of it reporting fake news. It has also recently met an adversary in former employee Barkha Dutt, who has levelled allegations about the channel censoring news stories. Barkha has also claimed that corporate lobbyist Nira Radia helped the channel financially. Now its promoters Prannoy and Radhika Roy too have suffered a blow in form of the Income Tax provisionally attaching their shares in NDTV.

If this wasn’t enough, its Hindi channel “NDTV India” has in the past been accused of compromising India’s national security.

In November we had reported how NDTV India was was given a token 1 day ban for its reporting of the January, 2016 Pathankot attack.

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

Soon after the terror attack, the Information and Broadcasting ministry had set-up an Inter-ministerial committee which had expressed grave concerns about the channel revealing sensitive details like location of ammunition depot, the place where terrorists were held up and location of school and residential areas. We in an exclusive report had later also reported the exact reasons for ban, which were damning to say the least.

In order to fight the ban, the channel knocked on the doors of the Supreme Court after which the I&B ministry put the token ban on hold. The case has since then largely languished in the courts but can erupt again in the next 24 hours if journalists and sources are to be believed.

Today Abhijit Majumder, the Managing Editor of Mail Today dropped a bombshell on Facebook that a “leading channel” is likely to be taken off air for 15 days for breaching national security norms. He further wrote that the action was being taken on the basis of policy guidelines which were brought in by the UPA government in December, 2011.

As per him, the channel had violated clause 6.1 of the policy which states that permission granted shall be revoked if the channel is found to transmit content inconsistent with public interest or national security. 

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

He later indicated the identity of the channel by writing that:

This action is apparently being taken after previous I&B minister Venkaiah Naidu asked the channel for a representation after it, in the government’s view, seriously compromised national security while covering a terror attack.
Government sources said while the channel kept informally regretting the coverage, no representation was made.
The channel instead moved court and told SC that it would not apologise for the coverage and it was under no such breach.

A couple of sources in the ministry we talked to, confirmed that NDTV India is likely to go off air. As per our sources, the channel didn’t give a satisfactory answer and also refused to apologise which is supposed to have prompted this possible ban.

If this news indeed turns out to be true, it might be a clear statement by the I&B ministry that news channels need to be extra careful while reporting content regarding national security.

This incident has also raised certain legal questions. Firstly, can the government come up with such an executive order when the case regarding the matter is pending with the Supreme Court. That is, can the channel be punished unless the current proceedings are over or would the channel again be successful in getting a stay on the order like it did in the previous case?

- article continues after ad - - article resumes -

We would get the answers in the coming days…

  Support Us  

Whether NDTV or 'The Wire', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

Trending now

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

DD News temporarily shifts operations from Mandi House to Khelgaon after an employee tested positive for Coronavirus after death

News operations of DD News shifted to Khelgaon studio from the night of May 28 while Mandi house studios are sanitised

Mamata Banerjee opens up places of worship from June 1 in West Bengal, refuses to take migrants back saying Shramik Express trains are Corona...

Mamata Banerjee alleged that large numbers of workers returning is the reason behind spike in coronavirus cases in West Bengal

D10: Britain proposes new alliance of 10 democracies including India, South Korea, Australia and G7 nations to break China’s monopoly on 5G technology

The United Kingdom aims to create an alternative suppliers of 5G technology and other technologies to by forming the D10 group

IAF makes heavy-lift CH-47 Chinook helicopters operational in the Eastern air command near Indo-China border

CH-47 Chinook advanced multi-mission helicopters will be based at Air Force Station in Mohanbari in Dibrugarh of Assam near China border

White House slams Twitter for censoring US President Donald Trump but refusing to take action against glorification of Jihad

Donald Trump has been involved in a raging battle against social media giant Twitter after the latter included a 'fact-check' on his tweet.

Twitter restores ISKCON spokesperson’s account after briefly locking it, removes proof of insult of Hindus in Shemaroo video citing copyright violation

ISKCON spokesperson Radharamn Das had posted the vile video on Twitter as a proof of crime against the ISKCON and Hindus

Recently Popular

ISKCON files complaint against comedian Surleen Kaur and Shemaroo Entertainment Ltd for a video where ISKCON devotees were called ‘harami porn-waley’

Surleen Kaur had said in the video published by Shemaroo ‘no doubt we are from ISKCON, but from inside we are all harami porn lovers’.

ISKCON rejects Shemaroo Entertainment’s ‘apology’, to proceed with legal action against comedian Surleen Kaur for abusive, derogatory statements

A complaint had been filed by ISKCON organisation against comedian Ms Surleen Kaur and Shemaroo Entertainment Ltd for her abusive, derogatory remarks against the organisations, saints and Hindus.

Zaira Wasim, who had left acting for Islam, now quotes the Quran to insinuate that locust infestation in Rajasthan is ‘Allah’s wrath’

Several areas in Eastern Africa, Pakistan, and India have seen attacks by massive swarms of locusts recently. However, it is not understood why the former actress is insinuating these locust attacks as some sort of Islamic curse upon a specific group of people whom she refers to as 'arrogant'.

Woman raped by Moulvi Aslam, media gives it a ‘Hindu spin’ by using image of a saffron-clad Hindu priest and describing the perpetrator as...

A Muslim sorcerer claiming to relieve people of their miseries through his wizardry was depicted as a Hindu priest by media organisations

Nagpada police station Senior PI Shalini Sharma transferred as Uddhav Thackeray bows to pressure from Abu Azmi

"Yeh aurat kehti hain aapne police par ilzaam lagaya hain mein aapse baat nahi karegi, uske baap ke baap ke baap ko bhi baat karni padegi”, Abu Azmi was seen shouting to hundreds of his supporters outside Nagpada station.

Connect with us

228,664FansLike
355,067FollowersFollow
243,000SubscribersSubscribe
Advertisements