Sunday, May 9, 2021
Home News Reports Truth about Modi government 'taking credit' for women travelling alone for Hajj

Truth about Modi government ‘taking credit’ for women travelling alone for Hajj

In November last year, it was reported that the Modi government had lifted the ban on Muslim women, aged above 45 years, travelling to Hajj without a male guardian (Mahram). The same was said by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his radio address Man Ki Baat yesterday.

While the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) objected to this move by the Modi government (their objection came only after Prime Minster mentioned it in his radio address to the nation), some journalists and ’eminent personalities’ have been peddling a totally different narrative:

As seen in the above image, an article published on India Today’s DailyO claims that Saudi Arabia and not the Modi government should be receiving credit for women being able to travel alone for Hajj. The article in the content quotes these guidelines provided by Saudi Arabia, when it comes to women Hajj travellers:

“Women over the age of forty-five (45) may travel without a mahram with an organised group. They must, however, submit a no-objection letter from her husband, son or brother authorising her to travel for haj with the named group. This letter should be notarised.”

Even though the article was giving credit to Saudi Arabia for letting women travel alone, it strangely didn’t mention as to when did the Saudis actually bring in such a reform.

A journalist associated with the Telegraph though claimed that the rule was changed by the Saudis, ‘last year’:

As a result of all this, many, such as this ‘journalist’ and senior Congress leader, decided to attack the Modi government:

So what is the truth of the matter? Did the Modi government unfairly claim credit for a reform, where he played no role in?

It is true that the government of India can not change the rules for entry into Saudi Arabia. However, unlike what is claimed by the Telegraph journalist, Saudi Arabia had not made any visa rule change ‘last year’ to enable women above the age of 45 to go to Hajj without a male guardian. Such a rule appears to have existed for long.

This article published way back in 2001, which sought to guide United States’ Hajj pilgrims about the procedures to get a visa for their pilgrimage, talks about this relaxation for women above 45 years of age.

Apart from this, even a 2012 CNN report talks about Saudi Arabia sending back 1000 Nigerian girls for not being accompanied with male guardian, stated that, “Saudi law requires each female pilgrim under the age of 45 years to have a male sponsor during the pilgrimage journey, regardless of nationality” i.e. a distinction for women above 45 years of age was available much before ‘last year’ as some journalists are claiming.

This ironically was also confirmed by AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi, who said that such a regulation was issued ‘many years ago’ by Saudi Arabia:

Owaisi though contradicts himself when he blames Modi for taking credit while acknowledging that such a regulation was issued many years ago. Then shouldn’t have a Prime Minister changed the rules ‘many years ago’ to bring it in sync with Saudi visa rules? Why were rules not changed untill Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister?

This though raises another question, what ‘ban’ did the Modi government actually lift, when as per Saudi regulations there was no such ban at all?

First of all, rules have been changed for those applying through the Hajj Committee of India i.e. those seeking the Hajj subsidy and wanting to travel though the official travel channel between Saudi Arabia and India. These rules are framed by the Government of India, and not by the Saudi Arabia.

Kamal Farooqi, a member of the committee that recommenced to do away with the requirement of having a Mahram for women above 45 years of age, had said in October last year that this was done after consulting various stakeholders. Nowhere he said that this change in rule was required because of any change in visa rules by Saudi Arabia.

Further, if one checks the website of Embassy of Saudi Arabia where Hajj visa details are given, the clause about Mahram requirement has not been changed at least since 2013 (older snapshots are not available on archive.org and in all probabilities the rules would have been similar to those for other countries i.e. women above 45 years of age allowed without Mahram when traveling in groups).

So the claim that there was any “recent change” in visa rules specific to Mahram requirements for women above 45 years of age does not appear to be based on any documentary evidence. It is more likely a rhetoric to put Modi government in an embarrassing position.

Essentially, Saudi Arabia allowed Indian women above 45 years of age to travel in groups without a Mahram for many years, but the Hajj Committee of India had stricter rules. These rules could have been relaxed earlier, including during the UPA years, but was done only this year. And if Modi government is taking credit for it, it is not unfair.

  Support Us  

Whether NDTV or 'The Wire', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Related Articles

Trending now

Hemkunt Foundation, Rana Ayyub and Jignesh Mevani: How Covid-19 fundraisers could possibly be violating FCRA laws

A deep dive into fundraisers for Covid relief with questionable management which may be violating FCRA laws.

Chinese state media Editor accuses Subramanian Swamy of being ‘ungrateful’ over ‘war on COVID’, it doesn’t go down well for him

Chinese state media Global Times Editor Hu Xijin on Sunday accused BJP leader Subramanian Swamy of being 'ungrateful' after he tweeted that India is...

Patanjali was the first Indian company to publish a research paper on the new Covid-19 drug approved by DCGI: Read details

Patanjali had published a research paper on use of the drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose for Covid-19 treatment in March 2020

West Bengal: BJP leader Swapan Dasgupta files a complaint with the police on targeted persecution of its party workers

Dasgupta in his complaint to the police mentioned on record the names of all 260 victims, some of whom have been unable to return home after the TMC goons unleashed violence post their victory in the state.

Netizens call out actor Sonu Sood’s claims of arranging for plasma, bed for COVID patients

After multiple media reports and social media posts on how Sonu Sood was helping out migrants go back home last year amid the nationwide lockdown, Sood had written an autobiography, 'I am no no messiah'.

Here is how The Lancet used dubious sources to blame Modi Govt for the Covid crisis

Following the abrogation of Article 370, The Lancet had issued a strong condemnation of the Indian Government.

Recently Popular

Meet AAP’s ‘Delhi ke Nirmata’: Who is Navneet Kalra, the businessman on the run after oxygen hoarding scandal was busted

Oxygen Concentrators have been found at Khan Chacha, Nege & Ju bar and Town Hall restaurants in Delhi, all owned by Navneet Kalra

Arvind Kejriwal govt expels 7 journalists from Whatsapp group after report critical of govt handling of oxygen crisis, senior journalists keep mum

The Arvind Kejriwal government has been the darling of the media for a long time but it seems to want absolute devotion

Comedian Sanket Bhosale who had featured in ad mocking Rahul Gandhi booked for violating Covid-19 norms in Punjab

A week after the vandalism by the Congress workers in Mumbai, the Congress-led Punjab government has now booked comedian Sanket Bhosale, the actor featured in the advertisement, on the pretext of violating Covid-19 regulations during his wedding.

‘Dominance of one religious group cannot prevent religious celebrations of other’, says Madras HC after local Muslims object to Hindu procession

The Madras High court concluded that similar acts of 'resistance' by other religious groups would result in loss of lives, destruction of properties, riots, religious fights and chaos.

Chinese research paper, published 6 years ago by Chinese military backed authors, discussed weaponising Coronavirus: Reports

A 2015 research paper by Chinese scientists reveals nefarious plans to weaponise the SARS Coronavirus against the world.

Call girl from Thailand passes away in Lucknow due to Covid-19, had come to India recently with help from agent Salman

A call girl from Thailand has passed away in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh at the Lohia Hospital due to Covid-19.
- Advertisement -

 

Connect with us

254,885FansLike
540,465FollowersFollow
24,300SubscribersSubscribe