After two years of the mysterious disappearance of JNU student Najeeb Ahmed, the Delhi high court on Monday finally allowed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file a closure report in the missing case.
The bench comprising of Justice S Muralidhar and Justice Vinod Goel rejected the plea filed by Najeeb Ahmed’s mother Fatima Nafees to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe her son’s missing case. However, the bench said Fathima Nafees to raise all the contentious issue before the trial court. Fathima Nafees had moved to the high court in November 2016 seeking directions to the police to trace her son.
The CBI had taken over the investigation last year and after more than a year of investigation, said it had examined all aspects of the case and informed the court that there was no offense committed against the missing student.
Najeeb Ahmed, a first-year M.Sc student of JNU allegedly disappeared from Mahi-Mandavi hostel of the Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi on October 15, 2016, following a scuffle with some students of the university.
Nafees’s lawyer argued before the court that it was a ‘political case’ and the “CBI has succumbed to the pressure of its masters”. Nafees had earlier moved the high court on November 25, 2016, seeking orders to the police to find her son.
Fathima Nafees’s lawyers had said names of nine students were registered in a complaint filed by eyewitnesses to the alleged assault on Ahmed, but that nine people were not interrogated. Reportedly, the nine students named in the complaint have rejected all the allegations against them.