Home Economy and Finance RBI relaxes withdrawal limit for PMC Bank account holders from Rs 1,000 to Rs 10,000 per account

RBI relaxes withdrawal limit for PMC Bank account holders from Rs 1,000 to Rs 10,000 per account

The RBI in its directive has said that after easing of the withdrawal limit restriction, about 60 per cent of the PMC customers will be able to withdraw their full amount.

In a big relief for Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank (PMC) customers, the Reserve Bank of India has relaxed its earlier imposed withdrawal limit of Rs 1000 to Rs 10000. The earlier notification issued by the bank on September 2, 2019, had set panic among its customers as it restricted them from withdrawing more than Rs 1000.

Relaxing the withdrawal limit, the central bank today issued a statement saying, “On a preliminary assessment of the bank’s latest depositor and liquidity profile as furnished by the Administrator, RBI has decided, in the interest of depositors, to review the Directions. Accordingly, vide modified Directive dated September 26, 2019, it has been decided to allow the depositors to withdraw a sum not exceeding ₹10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand Only) (including ₹1,000/- wherever already withdrawn) of the total balance held in every savings bank account or current account or any other deposit account by whatever name called, subject to conditions stipulated in the RBI Directive dated September 23, 2019.”

The RBI in its directive has said that after easing of the withdrawal limit restriction, about 60 per cent of the PMC customers will be able to withdraw their full amount. The bank has yet not commented on the fate of the remaining 40 per cent of the customers who have placed their faith in the bank to deposit their money.

- Ad - - article resumes -

Some of the aggrieved customers had filed a joint police complaint on Thursday against the bank’s chairman and its directors for alleged misappropriation of funds of the customers. According to reports, a group of distressed customers went to Sion police station in central Mumbai with a written complaint against the bank officials.

The Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank had been put under regulatory restrictions by the RBI owing to irregularities disclosed to the apex bank. In a message sent to the shareholders, the bank’s Managing Director Joy Thomas said, “I regret to inform you that your PMC Bank has been put under regulatory restriction under Section 35A of B.R. Act by RBI for a period of 6 months due to irregularities disclosed to RBI. As the MD of the Bank, I take full responsibility and assure all the depositors that these irregularities will be rectified before the expiry of six months.”

Help Opindia Reach Every Indian. Share This Post
Support OpIndia by making a monetary contribution

Big Story

After breaking alliance and begging Congress and NCP for support, Sena says 'BJP option' has not been exhausted yet
Putting the blame on the BJP, Thackeray had said it was BJP who refused to form the government with Shiv Sena by not keeping the 'promise' that it had made before the Lok Sabha polls. The BJP has been firm that no such 'promises' were made.

Don't miss these

2019 World Cup Is Here!

Catch the latest on Cricket World Cup as it unfolds, special coverage by Opindia

Latest articles

Connect with us

186,171FansLike
194,584FollowersFollow
117,000SubscribersSubscribe
Advertisements
Help Opindia Reach Every Indian. Share This Post