Saturday, July 11, 2020
Home News Reports Walayar rape case: Kerala High Court dismisses plea for CBI probe, Kerala govt to...

Walayar rape case: Kerala High Court dismisses plea for CBI probe, Kerala govt to appeal against accused’s acquittal

Alleging justice had been denied, yesterday, the victim's parents had met Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan and pressed for a CBI inquiry into the murders.

Also Read

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

A division bench of the Kerala High Court on Friday dismissed a plea seeking a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the case of two minor Dalit sisters who were raped and killed at Walayar in Palakkad in 2017. Last Friday, a POCSO court in Kerala had acquitted all three accused in the case.

The bench of Chief Justice S Mani Kumar and Justice CT Ravi Kumar indicated that there were legal opportunities available for the petitioners to approach higher courts against the trial court ruling.

The petition, seeking CBI probe into the rape case, was filed in the Kerala High Court by a Thrissur-based activist who complained that there were several irregularities in the Kerala Police investigation. But the high court pointed out that the petition was based on newspaper reports and asked how a re-probe could be ordered when the trial court has ruled on the matter.

The state government has also informed the court that it plans to appeal against the special POCSO court verdict acquitting three accused in the case on October 25.

Alleging justice had been denied, yesterday, the victim’s parents had met Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan and pressed for a CBI inquiry into the murders. However, the CM had told the parents that while it is practically not possible for the Kerala government to seek a CBI probe in the case, the government will not oppose the same if the parents move a petition for it.

Also Read- Nirbhaya rape case convicts could be executed soon, handed notice: Tihar Superintendent

The mother of the victims has earlier expressed apprehension in the probe saying that she does not trust the Kerala Police officers probing the case. “They collected documents and evidence during each phase of the investigation but nothing happened. We don’t have any evidence now. The investigation should be conducted in a way that serves justice to our daughters”, she had said.

After facing massive outrage over the handling of Walayar Rape case, the Kerala government had decided to file an appeal against the trial court order acquitting the accused in the Walayar rape case. In the high-level meeting chaired by Pinarayi, it was also decided to replace the public prosecutor.

On Monday, the civil society members across the country, especially in Kerala had expressed massive outrage against the Kerala government following the acquittal of all four persons in the rape and death case of two minor Dalit girls in Walayar in Palakkad district in 2017.

The National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) had also found lapses from investigating officials in the case. Following this, CM had said in the Assembly that it would be decided after examinations whether a CBI probe or a re-probe was required or not.

Also Read- Kerala Nun Rape case: Kerala court summons Bishop Franco Mulakkal even as a nun alleges mental torture by him

Two years after two minor sisters in Walayar in Palakkad district were found dead in mysterious circumstances, a court in Palakkad on Friday acquitted three persons who were accused of abetment of suicide and rape of the two minor Dalit girls.

It is being accused that the Kerala police allegedly helped the accused evade the conviction by weakening the case under political pressure. Ironically, the accused in the case are CPI(M) workers and the defence lawyer was a local CPI(M) leader.

The two minor Dalit girls, who were sisters, were found hanging after being sexually assaulted in January and March 2017 in Attappalam in Walayar, near Kerala’s border with Tamil Nadu. According to the postmortem reports, the girls were subjected to sexual assault. The autopsy report in the case of the younger girl even suggested the possibility of homicidal hanging.

However, the police did not investigate the murder charges and the final report was submitted against four accused – V Madhu, M Madhu, Shibu and Pradeep Kumar for offences of abetment of suicide, rape and unnatural sex under the Indian Penal Code and penetrative sexual assault under the POCSO Act.

Another accused is a juvenile and proceedings against him are progressing in the Juvenile Justice Board.

The Special POCSO Court, Palakkad had acquitted one of the accused Pradeep Kumar on September 30. On Friday, the First Additional Sessions Judge (Special POCSO Court) of Palakkad district acquitted three accused in the case, V Madhu, Shibu and M Madhu, citing that the prosecution was not able to prove their involvement in the case.

  Support Us  

Whether NDTV or 'The Wire', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Trending now

When Ganesha and Nandi had a one-on-one on Twitter: A fight no one wants to stop

Gauprem and Gannuuprem, two Twitter handles are having a banter that everyone is watching with a tub of popcorn!

Mumbai blasts of 11 July: When Sharad Pawar, who had invented a ‘secular’ blast earlier, admitted that terrorists largely targeted Hindus

Sharad Pawar also made it quite clear that he was aware that in the 2006 Mumbai Train blasts, a deliberate attempt was made to target Hindus.

‘Drone boy’ Prathap NM makes a statement after OpIndia fact-check: Here is why his explanation makes little sense

'Drone boy' Prathap NM says he won't show his drones due to intellectual property issues, but will show certificates from unregistered events

Anti-Hindu Delhi Riots: Two employees of Tahir Hussain turn witness, testimony included in chargesheet

Girish Pal and Rahul Kasana - the two employees of the accused Tahir Hussain said in their statements to the police that they were present in the office of Hussain in Khajuri Khas area on February 24.

Police encounters and ‘secular privilege’ in Indian politics

Between 2002 and 2007, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) found 440 cases of suspected “fake” encounters by the police across India.

1500-year-old Cathedral Hagia Sophia converted to a mosque, President Erdogan says it’s Turkey’s ‘sovereign right’

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that a 1500-year-old Orthodox Christian Cathedral in Istanbul named Hagia Sophia would be converted into a mosque

Recently Popular

The curious case of ‘Drone Boy’ who has made 600 drones using broken mixer grinders and televisions. A fact-check

While 'drone boy' Prathap NM has claimed to have made 600 drones using e-waste, not a single photo or video of them exist

Netizens ask Netflix to cancel comedian Kenny Sebastian’s special show after he hurls obscene abuses

Social media users are demanding that Netflix reconsiders special show of Indian comic Kenny Sebastian after he was allegedly found hurling obscene abuses to people on his Instagram page.

‘Drone boy’ Prathap NM makes a statement after OpIndia fact-check: Here is why his explanation makes little sense

'Drone boy' Prathap NM says he won't show his drones due to intellectual property issues, but will show certificates from unregistered events

The Wire accused Yogi Adityanath of being ‘casteist’ for not killing Vikas Dubey hours before the encounter of the gangster

Notorious gangster, Vikas Dubey, who was arrested from Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh was killed in an encounter in the wee hours of the morning on Friday

After obscene comments, clip of comedian Kenneth Sebastian calling Sanskrit ‘most useless language ever’ goes viral. Watch video

In the video titled "Journey to the centre of my brain", Sebastian is seen thanking God because 'all the people who spoke Sanskrit are dead'.

South Sudan ambassador to the United States urinates during a live online discussion with his camera and mic on

Gordon Buay, the ambassador of South Sudan to the United States, was seen urinating during an online discussion on Facebook.

When Ganesha and Nandi had a one-on-one on Twitter: A fight no one wants to stop

Gauprem and Gannuuprem, two Twitter handles are having a banter that everyone is watching with a tub of popcorn!

Pakistan builds a Coronavirus treatment facility in Islamabad with the help of China

Pakistan PM Imran Khan inaugurates new Coronavirus hospital in Islamabad build with help from China

Mumbai blasts of 11 July: When Sharad Pawar, who had invented a ‘secular’ blast earlier, admitted that terrorists largely targeted Hindus

Sharad Pawar also made it quite clear that he was aware that in the 2006 Mumbai Train blasts, a deliberate attempt was made to target Hindus.

Chinese virologist who fled Hong Kong claims China and WHO adviser knew about the virus long before they made it public

Chinese virologist Li-Meng Yan claimed that China was well-aware coronavirus and its virulence long before it said it did

Vikas Dubey’s aide Guddan Trivedi arrested by Mumbai ATS: Here are his pictures with SP’s Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh Yadav

Vikas Dubey's aide Guddan Trivedi, wanted in Kanpur ambush on police and 2011 Santosh Shukla murder case, arrested by Mumbai ATS

Virologist who spent weeks documenting his ‘battle’ against Coronavirus from hospital on NBC News finds out he was not infected

On Tuesday, Fair revealed that he was never diagnosed with the Chinese virus and had tested negative for it multiple times.

‘Drone boy’ Prathap NM makes a statement after OpIndia fact-check: Here is why his explanation makes little sense

'Drone boy' Prathap NM says he won't show his drones due to intellectual property issues, but will show certificates from unregistered events

Here is a short list of anti-Brahmin people and ideas Congress has nurtured and supported

The Congress party has been trying to paint the Yogi Government as 'anti-Brahmin'.

Stand-up comedian apologises for insulting memorial to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj in Arabian sea after MNS workers vandalised studio

The stand-up 'comedian' Agrima Joshua had made scornfully derisive remarks in her video against the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj memorial that is going to be erected in the Arabian Sea

Connect with us

235,526FansLike
403,559FollowersFollow
273,000SubscribersSubscribe