Govt seeks a clear apology from a reluctant NDTV for its Pathankot attack coverage

On 3rd November 2016, an inter-ministerial committee of the Information & Broadcasting (I&B) ministry had recommended a token one day ban over NDTV India for its coverage of the Pathankot terror attack, which took place in January 2016.

As exclusively reported by us here, NDTV India received this punishment from the I&B ministry for its live coverage of the anti-terror operations via which the channel gave away sensitive information about the Pathankot airbase, like the details of ammunition stockpiled in the airbase, MIGs, fighter planes, rocket launchers, mortars, helicopters, fuel tanks, etc., which could have been misused by the terrorists to cause grave harm to the airbase and the people inside it.

The Venkaiah Naidu led I&B ministry later suspended the ban after the Supreme Court decided to hear NDTV appeal against the ban. In one of the hearings of that case in the Supreme Court, on 24th March, lawyer Harish Salve who appeared for the NDTV came up with an apology statement, which was deemed too generic by Attorney General Mukul Rohtagi who appeared on the behalf of the I&B ministry.

- Advertisement - - Article resumes -

The statement which Salve reportedly came up with was,

“NDTV is a very responsible media organization. We regret the unfortunate incident which occurred”

Rohtagi also suggested that the statement should be tweaked, so that it was evident that it was in the nature of an apology. Salve later suggested a statement which read, ”we regret the controversy that led to the incident” which too was not appreciated by the AG.

The next hearing is scheduled on Friday 31st march when the NDTV will respond if it agrees to the modifications suggested by the Government.

Maybe NDTV fears that issuing a clear apology would lead to an open admittance of its guilt, which might spur people to further raise questions as to whether it deliberately indulged in such a form of coverage.

NDTV is not new to such controversies and earlier it was accused of being irresponsible while covering the Mumbai terror attacks of 2008. Then its English channel’s controversial journalist Barkha Dutt was criticised, which led her to send a legal notice to one such blogger critic. Barkha had been embroiled in a similar controversy during Kargil war too, and a recent book confirmed that her reporting was a cause for concern for the Army.

Perhaps that’s why Barkha Dutt, who has now left NDTV, is extra careful that people don’t link the latest incident with her. On Twitter, while responding to a tweet, she clarified that it was the Hindi NDTV that was guilty this time:


Share This Post and Support:
We need your support to survive in the media industry. Please consider paying us for the content we produce:

To know more about these payments, please click here.


Most read articles recently

Actor R Madhavan offers support to PM Modi to urge voters to cast votes in elections, gets trolled by ‘liberals’

Because of their sheer bitterness for Modi, these cynics are in no mood to spare anyone who comes out in support of Modi
AAP Candidate for Gautam Budh Nagar disqualified

AAP candidate for Gautam Buddh Nagar disqualified for failing to arrange 10 persons to back her nomination

As the AAP is not recognised as a national party by the EC, their candidate has to arrange a minimum of 10 people as proposers at the Returning Officer's office to back her nomination.
Tejaswi Surya attacked for Ayudha Puja

Congress IT cell attacks BJP’s Bangalore South candidate for performing Ayudha Puje as per Hindu rituals

Ayudha Puje is one of the widely celebrated festivals in India which falls during the Navratri

NC Lok Sabha candidate Akbar Lone begins a rally with ‘Pakistan Zindabad’, says will abuse anyone who abuses Pakistan

Akbar Lone, NC Lok Sabha candidate for Baramulla, said that the country across is a Muslim country and abusing Pakistan would mean he is abusing himself
Owner of AAP propaganda blog agitated when Sushma Swaraj stands up for two underage Hindu girls

AAP propaganda site owner gets angry after India expresses concerns over atrocities against Hindus in Pakistan

Sushma Swaraj's move to seek details of the Incident had agitated quite a few people in Pakistan, including their Information and Broadcasting minister Ch Fawad Hussain, who saw it as an intervention in Pakistan's internal matters.

Congress-friendly journalist tries to shield Dynasty, but Rahul Gandhi spoils the party by pulling a Rahul

Even though journalist Pallavi Ghosh sends out feelers to Congress President, he goes ahead and does completely the opposite.

Where is the money? Rahul Gandhi’s promise is going to cost a whopping Rs 3.60 lakh crore a year, 13% of union budget

Minimum Income Guarantee Scheme of Congress party ensures monthly income of Rs 12,000 for 20% of India's population

Rahul Gandhi’s Minimum Income Guarantee could kill all other subsidies and be the mother of all scams

Remember, India’s worst-case scenario is also the Dynasty’s best case scenario.

Facebook arbitrarily suspends account of activist Anshul Saxena, fails to restore account despite no wrongdoing

The social media giant, Facebook, has allegedly resorted to arbitrarily suspending the account of social media user Anshul Saxena
Malala has maintained a conspicuous silence over atrocities on Hindu girls in her country

Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala’s silence on abduction and forceful conversion of two Hindu girls is deafening

Malala, who often preaches the world about feminist adventures and jumps in to display her intellect over human rights issues especially against women across the world seems to have not found her voice to condemn the bigotry of Pakistanis as she could face severe backlash within her own country.

Latest articles

Connect with us

149,301FansLike
120,841FollowersFollow
31,565SubscribersSubscribe

Don't miss these


Share This Post and Support: