Home News Reports Five convicted Bangladeshi nationals set to be deported to their country from Assam on November 19

Five convicted Bangladeshi nationals set to be deported to their country from Assam on November 19

The process of deportation has reportedly gained momentum in the past few months. 50 Bangladeshi nationals have been deported in the past six months.

Five Bangladeshi nationals are set to be deported on the 19th of November who are currently lodged in detention camps in Assam following their conviction. Contrary to the usual practice, they will be flown to Bangladesh instead of the land route. They will be flown to Dhaka from Guwahati via Kolkata.

“After being taken to Kolkata from Guwahati, the Bangladeshi nationals, escorted by a team of Border Police, will be handed over to the Immigration officials at the airport. From there, the Immigration officials will take their custody and finally hand over to the Bangladeshi agencies,” unnamed sources told Assam Tribune.

As per reports, they were booked under the Passport Act for illegally entering India. “The five persons will be taken to Dhaka from Guwahati via Kolkata by flight. Possibly, their families are bearing the cost of travel,” Assistant High Commissioner of Bangladesh in Guwahati, Shah Mohammad Tanvir Monsur, was quoted by The New India Express as saying. “According to a recent figure that I have, there are around 50-60 Bangladeshi nationals lodged in the detention camps in Assam. The figure might have gone up a bit,” he added.

- Ad - - article resumes -

The process of deportation has reportedly gained momentum in the past few months. 50 Bangladeshi nationals have been deported in the past six months. In July, it was reported that nearly 500 Bangladeshi nationals were deported in the previous 28 months.

Last month, 60 Bangladeshis were nabbed in Bengaluru by the Police. Their deportation is being planned as well and those property owners who had rented their places to the illegal immigrants were booked as well.

Help Opindia Reach Every Indian. Share This Post
Support OpIndia by making a monetary contribution

Big Story

Defiant to apologise for his sexist and insensitive 'Rape in India' comment, Rahul Gandhi said, “My name is not Rahul Savarkar, won't apologise".

Don't miss these

2019 World Cup Is Here!

Catch the latest on Cricket World Cup as it unfolds, special coverage by Opindia

Latest articles

Connect with us

191,650FansLike
203,341FollowersFollow
128,000SubscribersSubscribe
Advertisements
Help Opindia Reach Every Indian. Share This Post