Friday, July 10, 2020
Home Politics Former civil servants write letter to express concern on how EC is being forced...

Former civil servants write letter to express concern on how EC is being forced by anti-Modi lobby to conform to a ‘particular line of behaviour’

The Election Commission has taken several steps in the recent past that have raised doubts about whether the decision is being influenced. The decisions are, more often than not, viewed as anti-Modi.

Also Read

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

A group of 81 former civil servants that compromise of defence personnel, judges, academicians and professionals, led by former Delhi Police Commissioner R S Gupta have written to the President of India, Ramnath Kovind expressing concern about another set of former babus casting aspersions on the neutrality of the Election Commission. They have also raised concerns about this lobby trying to influence the Election Commission in taking anti-Modi steps to ‘conform to a particular line of thought and behaviour’.

The letter said that attempts are being made by a group of former babus, headed by Salahuddin Ahmad, retired IAS officer, to discredit the Election Commission.

The letter said, “Slurs being laid against the Election Commission of India, casting aspersions on its neutrality and ability to hold free and fair elections appears to be a part of the larger design to influence its decision making and to make it conform to a particular line of behaviour and thought”.

The letter said that an earlier letter written to the President by the former babus allegest that the Election Commission is going through a crisis of credibility and that it is the prevalent view of the country that its independence has been compromised. However, the letter signed by 81 civil servants says that this view is limited to a “small group of people who may be having a partisan interest in propagating such a view”.

The former civil servants in their letter to the President of India also raised a concern about this ‘partisan group’ pressurising the Election Commission to take anti-Modi steps. The letter said that the very people who have cast aspersions on the Election Commission and doubted its neutrality have succeeded in influencing the EC to ban a biopic that was made by an independent producer. Presumably, the letter was talking about the Vivek Oberoi starrer biopic of PM Narendra Modi that has been banned from release by the Election Commission purportedly, to give all the candidates a “level playing field”.

The letter says that the Election Commission’s decision to ban the biopic came right after the release of the letter by this vested group of people who might have a partisan interest.

According to Deccan Chronicle, the letter also slammed the decision to ban a web series based on the life of Prime Minister Modi. The serial, the letter said, had already aired 5 episodes prior to Model Code of Conduct being set into motion and that banning of that series amounts to a breach of constitutional rights.

“Now, the same retired civil servants, through their open letter to your hon’ble self, are trying to stop a ten-part web series “Modi: A Common Man’s Journey,” of which five episodes have already been screened before the model code of conduct came into effect. This again amounts to a violation of Constitutional rights and depriving certain people of their freedom of expression”, the letter reportedly read.

The group of 81 former civil servants also raised concerns about the letter which raises doubts on EVMs and insists on VVPAT based audit of the election system.

Concluding the letter, the civil servants raised concerns about such letter not serving the democratic process and also on how this group is trying to influence the decision of the Election Commission. They also raise concerns about on whose behest is such a partisan approach being taken.

“We are deeply pained that a few retired civil servants, who should have known better, have chosen to slander the Election Commission and are attempting through such slander, to influence its decisions. It amounts to a smear campaign, designed to weaken India’s well tested constitutional bodies. One wonders on whose behest such a partisan approach is being taken. Needless to say, unfounded allegations and slander campaigns do little to promote the cause of democracy”, the letter reportedly said.

The Election Commission has taken several steps in the recent past that have raised doubts about whether the decision is being influenced. The decisions are, more often than not, viewed as anti-Modi.

EC officials in Maharashtra had recently issued an order directing producers of television serials ‘Bhabhiji Ghar Par Hai’ and ‘Tujhse Hai Raabta’, aired on &TV and Zee TV channels, to remove content that deemed to benefit the “prospects of a political party” by praising government schemes like Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, Swacch Bharat Abhiyan and Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana. Before this decision by the EC, Congress had objected to these serials.

A citizen had printed “No gifts, please vote for PM Modi” on his wedding card and had got a notice from the Election Commission too raising concerns about the Election Commission encroaching on citizen’s fundamental rights. The Election Commission had also served a show cause notice to ABVP students for a book launch that was organised in JNU claiming poll code violation. The ABVP had planned to launch #ModiAgain by author Aabhas Maldahiyar and Saffron Swords by Manoshi Sinha Rawal on 15th April. The event has now been cancelled.

The same Election Commission had served a show cause notice to officials for banning the release of a book on the Rafale Deal for violation of the MCC. However, the ban was subsequently revoked and the book was released.

  Support Us  

Whether NDTV or 'The Wire', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to fight them. Please contribute whatever you can afford

OpIndia Staffhttps://www.opindia.com
Staff reporter at OpIndia

Trending now

Delhi anti-Hindu riots: Sahil’s father Parvez died in 3 different ways, in 2 different locations, 16 Hindus named in the FIR

Sahil Parvez had stated that his father was shot in front of their house in his statement to the media. His complaint letter to the police several weeks later suddenly shifts the location, identifies 16 'attackers' by name and makes a lot of contradictory claims, read details.

The Wire issues half-hearted correction after being called out by NCPCR for their blatantly fake news about ‘eight-fold increase in complaints post lockdown

The Wire retracted it after the author of the article said that she had no evidence to support her stunning claim.

The Wire accused Yogi Adityanath of being ‘casteist’ for not killing Vikas Dubey hours before the encounter of the gangster

Notorious gangster, Vikas Dubey, who was arrested from Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh was killed in an encounter in the wee hours of the morning on Friday

Vikas Dubey killed in an encounter after he attempts to flee from police custody: Here is what happened

The encounter broke out between Vikas Dubey and the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) after the gangster tried to flee upon reaching Kanpur.

Delhi Riots Chargesheets: Before murdering Ratan Lal, the Islamist mob had held 2 other police constables hostage

The chargesheet filed by Special Investigation Team of Delhi Police in the murder of Ratan Lal and deadly attacks by rioters on IPS Amit Sharma and IPS Anuj Kumar mentions at least 17 accused.

The curious case of ‘Drone Boy’ who has made 600 drones using broken mixer grinders and televisions. A fact-check

While 'drone boy' Prathap NM has claimed to have made 600 drones using e-waste, not a single photo or video of them exist

Recently Popular

Netizens ask Netflix to cancel comedian Kenny Sebastian’s special show after he hurls obscene abuses

Social media users are demanding that Netflix reconsiders special show of Indian comic Kenny Sebastian after he was allegedly found hurling obscene abuses to people on his Instagram page.

The curious case of ‘Drone Boy’ who has made 600 drones using broken mixer grinders and televisions. A fact-check

While 'drone boy' Prathap NM has claimed to have made 600 drones using e-waste, not a single photo or video of them exist

Jyoti Basu is the mass murderer India forgot

Please don’t feel bad about speaking ill of the Late Jyoti Basu. If there is another world, be certain that there are (at least) 28,000 voices from the other side backing you up.

Only Muslims go to heaven, Ravish Kumar-like non-Muslims can only hope for a mild level of hell: Dr Zakir Naik explains

Naik said that virtues like honesty and charity cannot ensure qualifying marks for heaven or Jannah. Only Muslims can go to heaven and non-Muslims will go to hell by default, he says.

After obscene comments, clip of comedian Kenneth Sebastian calling Sanskrit ‘most useless language ever’ goes viral. Watch video

In the video titled "Journey to the centre of my brain", Sebastian is seen thanking God because 'all the people who spoke Sanskrit are dead'.

From Vikas Dubey has reached Nepal to he may be encountered ‘because he knows dirty secrets’: Read how conspiracy theorists spun yarns

As Vikas Dubey was on the run, the journalists kept themselves busy conjuring up various conspiracy theories.

Reacting on the encounter of gangster Vikas Dubey, Akhilesh Yadav questions UP government for killing of “innocents”

After the death of Vikash Dubey in encounter, SP leader Akhilesh Yadav accues UP police of killine innocents under 'Operation Clean'

Read how this Congress loyalist is so enraged about the Vikas Dubey encounter, that he wants Anand Mahindra to intervene

Poonawalla has asked Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd CEO Anand Mahindra to investigate the Vikas Dubey encounter. Yes. You read that right.

Delhi anti-Hindu riots: Sahil’s father Parvez died in 3 different ways, in 2 different locations, 16 Hindus named in the FIR

Sahil Parvez had stated that his father was shot in front of their house in his statement to the media. His complaint letter to the police several weeks later suddenly shifts the location, identifies 16 'attackers' by name and makes a lot of contradictory claims, read details.

“I am proud of UP police”, says the father of a martyred UP police officer after Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter

Urmila Verma, the wife of deceased constable Sultan Singh, said that the death of Vikas Dubey had brought relief to her soul.

The Wire issues half-hearted correction after being called out by NCPCR for their blatantly fake news about ‘eight-fold increase in complaints post lockdown

The Wire retracted it after the author of the article said that she had no evidence to support her stunning claim.

1 lakh km of road built with plastic waste, Modi govt saves Rs 30,000 per km: Read about the revolution in road construction

In 2016, Union minister Nitin Gadkari had announced the usage of plastic waste in road construction

Hours before Vikas Dubey was killed in encounter, a petition was filed in Supreme Court seeking protection for the gangster

Before Vikas Dubey’s encounter, one Mumbai-based petitioner had filed petition in SC to prevent UP police from encountering him

Police recover seven crude bombs from properties connected to Vikash Dubey, some from house taken care of by the gangster’s driver

Vikas Dubey, who was arrested yesterday from Ujjain, was killed in an encounter in Kanpur on early morning on Friday

Police personnel injured in Vikas Dubey encounter did suffer bullet injuries: Here is what the doctor said

The doctor who treated policemen injured during the Vikas Dubey encounter confirm that they were hit by bullets

Congress leader Udit Raj’s organisation makes derogatory comments against Brahmins, compares the community to ‘pigs’

Dalit organsation All India Parisangh run by Congress leader Udit Raj insults Brahmins by comparing with pigs

Connect with us

235,314FansLike
402,568FollowersFollow
272,000SubscribersSubscribe