PM Narendra Modi’s today addressed the nation from the ramparts of the iconic Red Fort on the occasion of India’s 72nd Independence Day. India’s progress so far as a country, as a representation of its more than a billion people and the future ahead was the focus of PM’s speech. Being a skilful orator and an inspirational leader, PM Modi is immensely popular among Indians and his speeches attract both crowd and attention. This was PM Modi’s fifth speech from the ramparts of the Red Fort as the Prime Minister of India.
The highlights of the PM’s speech in 21 points are as follows:
- PM Modi started his speech by stating that our nation today is full of confidence and energy. Citing the blue Kurinji flowers that bloom every 12 years in the Nilgiris, like the Ashok Chakra on our national flag, the entire Nilgiris right now are blue tinged as if coming together to celebrate our independence day. He hailed the women sailors of INS Tarini who have unfurled the Tricolour all across the oceans of the world. He also celebrated the tribal children who have successfully climbed Mount Everest and have waved the flag there.
- He stated that the recently concluded sessions of the parliament were dedicated towards social justice and in one of the most successful parliament sessions ever, the OBC Commission has been given constitutional status.
- Every Indian living anywhere in the world now feels proud of being an Indian, We are now the world’s 6th largest economy.
- PM hailed our freedom fighters who spent their lives fighting for the country and dedicated their best years to struggle and hardships. He hailed the armed forces who bravely defend our borders to protect our sovereignty.
- He addressed the recent flood situations in many states and stated that his prayers are with those who have lost their lives and stated that the nation stands with flood victims with all its might and all possibles measures are being taken to face the situation.
- PM stated that next year, it will be the 100th year anniversary of the Jalianwalabag massacre, the incident that reminds us how even common, poor Indians had laid down their lives for the country. He mentioned that our freedom came at a great cost but our freedom fighters also preserved the dream of the India of the future. He cited the great Tamilian poet Subramania Bharti who had written that India will pave the way for freedom from every shackle that ties down humanity to the people of the world.
- He mentioned that in 2014, the people of the country did not just stop at bringing in a new government but they have also participated and worked to bring the change in our nation. Hailing Sri Aurobindo, he stated that the nation is powered by its billion people with every individual contribution.
- He stated that if we take 2013 speeds into account, the country would have taken decades to build the number of toilets we have built in 4 years, at least two decades more to electrify the number of villages we have in 4 years and maybe a 100 more years to provide LPG connections to the number of people we have freed from smoke in these four years.
If we had continued at the same pace at which toilets were being built in 2013, the pace at which electrification was happening in 2013, then it would have taken us decades to complete them: PM @narendramodi
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 15, 2018
- Asserting his government’s commitment to bring justice to Muslim women, he stated that despite attempts by the opposition to derail the Triple Talaq bill, he assures Muslim sisters and daughters that their rights will be protected and he will make sure their aspirations are met.
- He declared that Indians will have Housing for all, electricity for all, cooking gas, healthcare, sanitation, skill development and connectivity for all. He stated that he is anxious, restless and impatient to bring in development for all Indian citizens.
हर भारतीय के पास अपना घर हो- Housing for All
हर भारतीय के घर में बिजली कनेक्शन हो- Power for All
हर भारतीय की रसोई धुआं मुक्त हो- Clean Cooking for All
हर भारतीय के घर में जरूरत के मुताबिक जल पहुंचे- Water for All: PM @narendramodi
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 15, 2018
- He hailed young Indians for their efforts, innovations and entrepreneurship skills shown to take the country socially and economically forward. 13 crore Mudra loans are a testimony to that.
- PM has asserted that his promise for ‘healthcare for all’ will be delivered and poor families will not be allowed to delve into poverty for rising healthcare costs. He announced that Ayushman Bharat will ensure 10 crores families of an economically backward class will get healthcare benefits worth Rs 5 lakh and soon the program will include middle-class Indians too. He stated that Ayushman Bharat will be technologically driven to ensure efficiency and transparency. He stated Ayushman Bharat will be launched on September 25. He declared that the number of Indians benefitting form Ayushman Bharat will be equal to the population of Europe.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyan under #AyushmanBharat will benefit more than 10 cr families with health assurance of 5 lakh per family per year. The mission will be launched on 25th September 2018. @PMOIndia #IndependenceDayIndia pic.twitter.com/JQeyuKYWC6
— National Health Agency (NHA) (@AyushmanNHA) August 15, 2018
- The PM announced that women in the armed forces will get permanent commission equal to that of male officers and it will be done through a transparent selection process.
- Asserting his government’s promise of doubling farmer’s income by 2022, he declared that it is being done and the target will be achieved.
- In an important announcement, PM Modi stated that India is very close to launching a manned space mission and ‘Gaganyan’ will leave for space with Indian astronauts onboard in 2022 and the Tricolour will be unfurled in space.
Today I want to give the country a good news; we have resolved that by 2022, before we celebrate 75 years of #IndependenceDayIndia, #India will place an Indian in space: PM @narendramodi @drharshvardhan @moesgoi @IndiaDST @isro pic.twitter.com/XEEbzVCAwb
— PIB India (@PIB_India) August 15, 2018
- PM stated that the North Eastern states are witnessing unprecedented connectivity and infrastructure development. He also hailed the efforts underway to maintain peace in the NE states and mentioned that from the earlier 126, Left Wing extremism has been limited to 90 districts in the country.
- He mentioned the fast track courts working in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan to ensure speedy trials to punish rapists and mentioned that our society needs to be freed from the dastardly mentality of rape.
- PM stated that now the culture of power brokers and lobbyists has been wiped out from the national capital. His government is dedicated to putting an end to nepotism and favouritism, tightened the law on the corrupt and ensured transparency in the industry and finance sector too.
- PM saluted the honest taxpayers. He stated that as hoarding and black-marketing of rations has been stopped, food and essential commodities have been made affordable. He stated that each time an honest taxpayer pays his taxes, three poor families get food to eat. Hailing the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, PM stated that an estimate says 3 lakh children have been saved from diarrhoea due to the success of Swachh Bharat Mission. He equated Swachhagrahis to Satyagrahis in the freedom struggle and stated they are ensuring India gets freedom from pollution and diseases.
- PM also stated that with India’s growing economic and diplomatic strength, we are increasingly being heard at the world stage and the doors of many international forums that were closed before, have now been opened.
- He mentioned socio-economic reforms like the MSP and GST have been cleared after years of delay.
Speaking with his usual energy and infectious positivity, PM Modi thanked every Indian citizen for his/her efforts and promised that he and his government will leave no stone unturned in their efforts to take the nation to greater heights of glory.
reader, writer, dreamer, no one